Integrating Statistics in Medical Informatics: A Lecture on Statistical Analysis Systems
In this paper I will try to point out the necessity of giving lectures in statistical analysis systems, and that this can only be done when basic knowledge in the field of informatics and statistics is available. The structure of such a course is given and experiences in lecturing the course to different audiences are reported. Integrating statistics and informatics, as it is needed here, seems to be especially successful in curricula focussing on medical applications such as the Medical informatics curriculum at the University of Heidelberg/Heilbronn polytechnical School.
KeywordsStatistical analysis systems education Computational statistics Medical informatics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chambers, J.M. (1977). Computational Methods for Data Analysis. New York: Wiley Publ. Company.Google Scholar
- Francis, I. (1981). Statistical Software: A Comparative Review. Amsterdam: North Holland.Google Scholar
- Haux, R. (1983). Statistical Analysis Systems — Construction and Aspects of Method Design (Part 1). Stat. Software Newsl. 9, 106–115Google Scholar
- Haux, R. (1984). Integrating Statistics in Computer Science Education. To appear in: Proc. Europ. Symposium on Biostatistics/Medical Statistics, October 22–26, 1984, Berlin, GDR.Google Scholar
- Holle, R. and Leibbrand, D. (1985). Data Design for Clinical Trials. To appear in Stat. Software Newsletter 11, No. 1.Google Scholar
- Hultsch, E., Jannasch, J., Krier, N., Sund., M. and Victor, N. (1978). Requirements for program systems used for statistical data analysis. Stat. Software Newsl. 4, 3–30.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, W.J. and Gentele, J.E. (1980). Statistical Computing. New York: Dekker.Google Scholar
- Neider, J.A. (1977). Intelligent programs, the Next Stage in Statistical Computing, Barra, J.R. et al. (eds.). Recent Developments in Statistics, 79–86. Amsterdam: North Holland.Google Scholar
- Reichertz, P.L. and Koeppe, P. (eds., 1982). Ausbildung in der Medizinischen Informatik. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar