Scylla and Charybdis of Medical Computing
The influence of computers on society has grown exponentially. Recently we experienced the advent of the personalized micros, the “intelligent” workstations or the decentralisation of so-called computer intelligence. We are now observing the impact of the wave of networks which most probably will turn over all systems that we have realized thus far. This has all great implications for education and training. After having discussed the changing society, we will see what challenges we meet and to what consequences this leads with respect to training at universities, nursing schools and other areas.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Norris, J. A., Amer. J. Law and Medic., 7 (1982) 1–10.Google Scholar
- (2).Watson, B. L., Liability for failure to acquire or use computers in medicine, IEEE Comp. Soc., N. Y. (1981) 879–883.Google Scholar
- (3).FDA, Reports by Task Force on Computers in Software as Medical Devices, FDA rept. 83–4149 (1983).Google Scholar
- (5).Van Bemmel, J. H., A comprehensive model for medical information processing, Meth. Inform. Med., 22 (1983) 124–130.Google Scholar
- (6).Blois, M. S., Wasserman, A. I., A graduate academic program in medical information science, in: MEDINFO-74, J. Anderson and J. M. Forythe (eds.), North-Holland Publ. Comp., Amsterdam (1974) 217–222.Google Scholar
- (7).Duncan, K. A., Austing, R. H., Katz, S., Pengov, R. H., Pogue, R. E., Wasserman, A. I., A model curriculum for doctoral-level programs in health computing, ACM, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- (8).Moehr, J., Leven, F. J., Rothermund, M., Formal education in medical informatics, Meth. Inform. Med., 21 (1982) 169–180.Google Scholar
- (9).Reichertz, P. L., Curricula in medical informatics, in (12), 79–95.Google Scholar
- (10).Van Bemmel, J. H., Hasman, A., Schutte, F., Sollet, P. C. G. M., Veth, A. F. L., Curricula in medical informatics, experience during 10 years in Amsterdam, in (12), 55–65.Google Scholar
- (11).Hannah, K. J., The place of medical informatics in a baccalaureate nursing curriculum, in (12), 67–77.Google Scholar
- (12).Pages, J. C., Levy, A. H., Gremy, F. and Anderson, J. (eds.), Meeting the Challenge: Informatics and Medical Education, North-Holland Publ. Comp., Amsterdam, 1983.Google Scholar