Computers and Continuing Education in the Health Sciences
Methods of continuing medical education have centered around reading, attending courses and conferences, and informal conversations with colleagues. Computer technology now makes it possible to link education to real events in practice. Current efforts to develop physician profiles, provide information at the time and place it is needed, and provide guidance in difficult cases should be extended.
KeywordsHepatitis Europe Cimetidine Braunstein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Manning PR, Denson TA. How cardiologists learn about echocardiography: a reminder for medical educators and legislators. Ann Int Med. 1979; 91: 469–471.Google Scholar
- (3).Manning PR, Denson TA. How internists learned about cimetidine. Ann Int Med. 1980; 92: 690–692.Google Scholar
- (4).Manning PR, Millard WL. Technology for continuing medical education. HSRC/HCPC Health Care Technology Compendium Series, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, September 1979.Google Scholar
- (6).Eisele CW. The medical audit in continuing education. J Med Educ. 1969; 44: 263–265.Google Scholar
- (7).Sanzaro PJ. Medical audit, continuing medical education and quality assurance. West J Med. 1979; 125: 241–252.Google Scholar
- (9).McDonald CJ. Use of a computer to detect and respond to clinical events: its effect on clinician behavior. Ann Int Med. 1976; 84: 162–167.Google Scholar
- (11).Cushing H. The Life of Sir William Osier. Oxford University Press, New York. 1940; p. 328.Google Scholar
- (12).Braunstein M. The computer-based medical record in family practice. In Medalie JH. Family Medicine. Baltimore. The Williams & Wilkins Company, 1978.Google Scholar
- (13).Green LA, Simmons RL, Reed FM, Warren PS, Morrison JD. A family medicine information system: the beginning of a network for practicing and resident family physicians. J Fam Prac. 1978; 7: 567–576.Google Scholar
- (15).Pople HE, Meyers JD, Miller RA. In proceedings of the Fourth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, USSR, Tablishi, 1975.Google Scholar
- (16).Weed LL. Your health care and how to manage it. Vermont: Essex Publishing Co., Inc., 1978.Google Scholar