Simulation of Biochemical Pathways and its Application to Biology and Medicine
In recent years quantitative data on biochemical pathways have accumulated up to a point where a detailed mathematical analysis of multi-enzymesystems concerning their dynamics and regulatory properties has become possible: the knowledge of the structure of a pathway, its metabolite scheme, the pool sizes involved, and the kinetic laws of its enzymes enable its mathematical description in terms of coupled non-linear differential equations.
In the following paper the general form of the basic kinetic equations containing all species of a multienzymesystem is represented. Assuming a stationary state hypothesis for the enzyme species these equations are reduced to a system of conservation equations for the fluxes of substrates and intermediates whose terms consist of the kinetic laws of the corresponding enzymes.
Two examples of application in biology and medicine are given: simulation of glycolytic oscillations and simulation of allopurinol-therapy in hyperuricemia, e. d., the action of allopurinol on the last two steps in purine degradation.
KeywordsUric Acid Serum Uric Acid Energy Charge Enzyme Species Multienzyme System
List of abbreviations
Hexokinase (E.C. 126.96.36.199)
Phosphofructokinase (S.C. 188.8.131.52)
- ATP, ADP, AMP)
Adenosin (tri, di, mono) phosphate
kinetic law of enzyme x
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Tikhanov, A. N., Mat. Sb. 22,64,193–201 (1948)Google Scholar
- 6.Tornheim, K., and Loewenstein, J. M., J. Biol. Chem. 249, 3241–47 (1974)Google Scholar
- 8.Hess, B., Boiteux, A. and Krüger, J. in “Advances in Enzyme Regulation”, Vol. 7, 149–167 (1969)Google Scholar
- 9.Hess, B., Ergebnisse der exp. Med. 9,66–87 (1971)Google Scholar
- 12.IBM Scientific Subroutine Package, Version III, Subrocutine HPCGGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kopperschläger, G., Bahr, M.L. and Hofmann, E., Acta biol. med. german. 19,691–704 (1967)Google Scholar
- 15.Wyngaarden, J., in “Advances in Metabolic Disorders”, Vol. II, 1–67 (1965)Google Scholar