Effects of S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine on the Behavior of Mice
The present work was prompted by recent clinical observations (4), in which antidepressant effects were claimed for S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe). Our work was designed to explore the effects of SAMe on the behavior of experimental animals — namely, on mice treated with the substance either alone or associated with other drugs endowed with actions on the CNS. The animals were then exposed to experimental situations such as are usually implemented for the screening of psychoactive drugs. We chose this experimental design in an attempt to define the behavioral effects of SAMe in comparison with those of the tricyclic antidepressants.
KeywordsDepression Morphine Azine Haloperidol Amphetamine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Essman, W.B.: Drug effects and learning and memory processes. Advanc. Pharmacol. Chemother. 9, 241 (1971)Google Scholar
- 4.Fazio, C, Andreoli, V., Agnoli, A., Casacchia, M., Cerbo, R.: Effetti terapeutici e meccanismo d’azione della S-adenosil-L-metionina (SAMe) nelle sindromi depressive. Minerva med. (Torino) 64, 1515 (1973)Google Scholar
- 5.Gyermek, L.: The pharmacology of imipramine and related antidepressants. Int. Rev. Neurobiol. 9, 143 (1966)Google Scholar
- 8.Lai, S., Sourkes, T.L.: Potentiation and inhibition of the amphetamine stereotype in rats by neuroleptics and other agents. Arch. int. Pharmacodyn. 199, 289 (1972)Google Scholar
- 9.Lemberger, L., Witt, E.D., Davis, J.M., Kopin, I.J.: The effects of haloperidol and chlorpromazine on amphetamine metabolism and amphetamine stereotype behavior in the rat. J. Pharmacol, exp. Ther. 174, 428 (1970)Google Scholar
- 10.Oliverio, A., Castellano, C: Genotype dependent sensitivity and tolerance to morphine and heroine: dissociation between opiate-induced running-fit and analgesia in the mouse. Psychopharmacologia. In press (1977)Google Scholar
- 16.Sigg, E.B.: Tricyclic thymoleptic agents and some newer antidepressants. In: Psychopharmacology: A Review of Progress 1957–1967. Efron, D.H. (ed.) Public Health Service Publication, No. 1836, Washington, 1968, pp. 655–669Google Scholar