The Ultraviolet Spectra of Flavones and Flavonols
The methanol spectra of flavones and flavonols exhibit two major absorption peaks in the region 240 – 400 nm1. These two peaks are commonly referred to as Band I (usually 300 – 380 nm, Table V-1 records the λmaxvalues for Band I for all flavones and flavonols examined in the present investigation), and Band II (usually 240 – 280 nm). Band I is considered to be associated with absorption due to the B-ring cinnamoyl system, and Band II with absorption involving the A-ring benzoyl system (see III) .
KeywordsMethyl Ether Bathochromic Shift Hypsochromic Shift Ultraviolet Spectrum Oxidation Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jurd,L., in: the chemistry of flavonoid compounds (edited by T. A. Geissman),p. 107. Oxford: Pergamon Press 1962.Google Scholar
- 2.Astill, B. D., and J. C. Roberts: J. Chem Soc. 3302 (1953).Google Scholar
- 4.Dechene, E. B.: J. Am. Pharm. Assoc. 40, 495 (1951).Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, H. H., and C. H.Tan: J. Chem. Soc. 2743 (1965).Google Scholar
- 11.Geissman, T. A., E. C. Horgenson, and J. B. Harborne: Chem. Ind. (London) 1389 (1953).Google Scholar
- 12.Harborne, J. B.: Chem. Ind. (London) 1142 (1954).Google Scholar
- 13.Swain, T.: Chem. Ind. (London) 1480 (1954).Google Scholar