Doppler-Free Two-Photon Spectroscopy of Hydrogen Rydberg States: Remeasurement of R∞
In the last few years, the application of very high resolution laser spectroscopy to atomic hydrogen has allowed the determination of the Rydberg constant with an increasing precision up to a few parts in 1010 /1–7/. Because R∞ plays a key role in atomic physics, quantum electrodynamics and metrology, it is desirable to improve even further this precision ; experiments to this aim are currently being performed in various laboratories. In this work we report on latest measurements of R∞ which are in fact limited by the precision of the wavelength standard in the optical domain (1.6 x 10−10).
KeywordsMicrowave Posit Convolution Tate Deuterium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.P. Zhao, W. Lichten, H.P. Layer and J.C. Bergquist, Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 1293 (1987); and Proceedings of the Vllith International Conference on Laser Spectroscopy (Are, June 1987): Laser Spectroscopy VIII edited by W. Persson and S. Svanberg (Springer Verlag, 1987 ) p. 12Google Scholar
- 8.F. Biraben and L. Julien, Opt. Comm. 53, 319 (1985); and L. Julien, F. Biraben and B. Cagnac in Proceedings of Journée Thématique du B.N.M. (Paris, Sept. 1985): Bulletin du B.N.M. 66, 31 (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.F. Biraben, M. Bassini and B. Cagnac, J. Physique 40, 445 (1979)Google Scholar
- 12.G.W. Erickson, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data 6., 831 (1977)Google Scholar
- 13.V.G. Pal’chickov, Yu.L. Sokolov and V.P. Yakovlev, Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 38, 347 (1983) (JETP Lett. 38, 418 (1983))Google Scholar