Atomic Hydrogen in a Magnetic Trapping Field
We discuss the loading and relaxational decay of spin-up polarized atomic hydrogen (H↑) in a minimum-B-field trap. Our current experiments cover the temperature range from 80 to 225 mK. The maximum obtained density is n 0 = 3×1014cm −3 at T 100mK, corresponding to a total of N = 4×1013 atoms. By covering the walls of the sample cell with either pure 4He or with 3He/4He mixtures it could be demonstrated that the stability of the sample is not sensitive for a variation of the surface adsorption energy by as much as a factor 2.5. Measuring the rate at which Hl is produced in the trap we can accurately determine the dipolar relaxation rate as a function of temperature. We discuss the possibility of optical detection and the prospects for optical cooling of magnetically trapped hydrogen.
KeywordsManifold Recombination Helium Tungsten Doyle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I.F. Silvera and J.T.M. Walraven, Progr.Low Temp.Phys. edited by D.F.Brewer (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1986 ), Vol X, 139.Google Scholar
- 2.T.J. Greytak and D. Kleppner, New Trends in Atomic Physics, edited by G.Grynberg and R. Stora (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1984 ), Vol. II, 1125.Google Scholar
- 6.J.D. Gillaspy, I.F. Silvera, and J.S. Brooks (1988)Google Scholar
- 9.R.van Roijen, J.J. Berkhout, S Jaakkola, and J.T.M. Walraven, to be published.Google Scholar
- 10.For a compilation of measurements of the binding energy of H on “He see W.N. Hardy, M.D. Hürlimann, and R.W. Cline, Jap.J.Appl.Phys. 26, 2065 (1987) suppl. 26–3 (LT18).Google Scholar
- 12.J.J. Berkhout, O.H. HÖpfner, E.J. Wolters, and J.T.M.Walraven, Jap.J.Appl.Phys. 2a, 231 (1987) suppl. 26–3 (LT18).Google Scholar
- 17.J.J. Berkhout, 0.H. Hópfner, E.J. Wolters, and J.T.M. Walraven, Jap.J.Appl.Phys. 2., 231 (1987) suppl. 26–3 (LT18).Google Scholar
- 19.H.T.C. Stoof, J.M.V.A. Koelman, B.J. Verhaar (1988), to be published and private communication.Google Scholar
- 22.N. Masuhara, J.M. Doyle, J.C. Sandberg, D. Kleppner, T.J. Greytak, H.F. Hess and G.P. Kochansky, to be published.Google Scholar