Physical Prerequisites of the Laboratory Simulation of Large-Scale Rossby Vortices and Galactic Spiral Structures
The simulation of astrophysical phenomena, described in this book, is not based on their outward resemblance to the structures observed in the experiments but rather on the generality of the physical laws governing the dynamics of both laboratory and real-life phenomena, despite the immense difference in their spatial and temporal scales. To illustrate this generality, we start with a very instructive example.
KeywordsVortex Depression Soliton Vorticity Cyclone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.1L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz: Gidrodinamika (Hydrodynamics), 3rd ed. ( Nauka, Moscow 1986 )Google Scholar
- 4.2S. Chandrasekhar: Hydrodynamics and Hydrodynamic Stability ( Clarendon, Oxford 1961 )Google Scholar
- 4.3A.V. Timofeyev: in Voprosy teorii plasmy (Topics in Plasma Theory) No. 17, ed. by B.B. Ka-domtsev ( Energoatomizdat, Moscow 1989 ), p. 157Google Scholar
- 4.5L.D. Landau: Dokl. AN SSSR 44, 151 (1944)Google Scholar
- 4.7S.V. Antipov, M.V. Nezlin, V.K. Rodionov, E.N. Snezhkin, A.S. Trubnikov: JETP Lett. 37 Google Scholar
- 378.1983)Google Scholar