Experimental Compaction of Carbonate Sediments
Recent carbonate sediments of different grain size and with different carbonate content were compacted under pressures of up to 650 atm. The reduction of porosity with increasing pressure as well as the progress of compaction with time at constant pressure and their dependance on grain size, temperature and chemical nature of the pore medium were evaluated and presented graphically. Of special importance for a comparison with natural processes is the differentiated investigation of the various interdependent mechanisms which produce compaction: reorientation of the individual grains, plastic and shear deformation of the components and chemical processes such as pressure solution and solution transport.
KeywordsClay Porosity Benzene Calcite Lime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chilingar, G. V., and L. Knight: Relationship between pressure and moisture content of kaolinite, illite and montmorillonite clays. Bull. Am. Assoc. Petrol. Geologists 44, 101–106 (1960).Google Scholar
- Engelhardt, W. v.: Der Porenraum der Sedimente, 207 p. Berlin-Göttingen-Heidelberg: Springer 1960.Google Scholar
- Engelhardt, W. v.: and K. H. Gaida: Concentration changes of pore solutions during the compaction of clay sediments. J. Sediment. Petrol. 33, 919–920 (1963).Google Scholar
- Fruth, L. S., JR., G. R. Orme, and F. A. DoNATH: Experimental compaction effects in carbonate sediments. J. Sediment. Petrol. 36, 747–754 (1966).Google Scholar
- Hathaway, J. C., and E. C. Robertson: Microtexture of artificially consolidated aragonitic mud. U.S. Geol. Survey, Profess. Papers 424-C, 301–304 (1961).Google Scholar
- Robertson, E. C.: Laboratory consolidation of carbonate sediment. In: Marine Geotechnique, a symposium, 118–127 (Ed.: A. F. Richards ). Urbana (Ill.) 1967.Google Scholar
- Engelhardt, W. v.: L. R. Sykes, and M. Newall: Experimental consolidation of calcium carbonate sediment. U.S. Geol. Survey Profess. Papers 350, 82–83 (1962).Google Scholar
- Rodgers, J. J. W., and W. B. Head: Relationships between porosity, median size and sorting coefficients of synthetic sands. J. Sediment. Petrol. 31, 467–470 (1961).Google Scholar
- Terzaghi, K.: Erdbaumechanik. Wien 1925.Google Scholar
- Terzagh1, R. D.: Compaction of lime mud as a cause of secondary structure. J. Sediment. Petrol. 10, 78–90 (1940).Google Scholar
- Weller, J. M.: Compaction of sediments. Bull. Am. Assoc. Petrol. Geologists 43, 273–310 (1959).Google Scholar