Photochemical addition reactions of 1,4- and 1,2-quinones with alkylbenzenes or with ethers
According to Moore and Waters , chloranil (1) reacts photochemi-cally with p-xylene (2) in a free radical manner to form 2,3,5,6-tetrachloro-4-(4-methylbenzyloxy)-phenol (3). Similar compounds, including 1:2-adducts of 1 with xylene, were obtained in dark reactions when 1 was employed as dehydrogenating agent in the steroid field , the formation of the ethers being explained in terms of an ionic reaction mechanism.
KeywordsHydrocarbon Adduct Quinone Dioxane Tetrahydrofuran
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. F. Moore and W. A. Waters: J. Chem. Soc. 1953, 3405.Google Scholar
- G. O. Schenck: Dechema Monographien 24, 105 (1955).Google Scholar
- [4a]D. Koike: Nippon Kagaku Zasshi C. A. 53, 5208 (1959).Google Scholar
- A. Benrath and A. von Meyer: J. prakt. Chem.  89, 258 (1914).Google Scholar
- G. Pfundt: Diss. Göttingen 1962.Google Scholar
- M. B. Rubin and P. Zwitkowits: Tetrahedron Letters 1965, 2453.Google Scholar
- G. Pfundt and G. O. Schenck: Unpublished results.Google Scholar