Photochemical addition reactions of 1,4- and 1,2-quinones with alkylbenzenes or with ethers
According to Moore and Waters , chloranil (1) reacts photochemi-cally with p-xylene (2) in a free radical manner to form 2,3,5,6-tetrachloro-4-(4-methylbenzyloxy)-phenol (3). Similar compounds, including 1:2-adducts of 1 with xylene, were obtained in dark reactions when 1 was employed as dehydrogenating agent in the steroid field , the formation of the ethers being explained in terms of an ionic reaction mechanism.
KeywordsHigh Pressure Mercury Lamp Mercury Vapor Lamp Pressure Mercury Vapor Alkylaryl Ether Pressure Mercury Vapor Lamp
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. F. Moore and W. A. Waters: J. Chem. Soc. 1953, 3405.Google Scholar
- G. O. Schenck: Dechema Monographien 24, 105 (1955).Google Scholar
- [4a]D. Koike: Nippon Kagaku Zasshi C. A. 53, 5208 (1959).Google Scholar
- A. Benrath and A. von Meyer: J. prakt. Chem.  89, 258 (1914).Google Scholar
- G. Pfundt: Diss. Göttingen 1962.Google Scholar
- M. B. Rubin and P. Zwitkowits: Tetrahedron Letters 1965, 2453.Google Scholar
- G. Pfundt and G. O. Schenck: Unpublished results.Google Scholar