High-Power UV Ultrashort Laser Action on DNA and Its Components
Our studies in high-power laser UV action on DNA and its components were stimulated by interest shown in realization of selective action on complex biomolecules. In the very first experiments [1,2] on irradiating the aqueous solutions of nucleic acid bases by high-power laser UV radiation (I = 109 w/cm2, λ = 266 nm, τp = 30 ps) we revealed that such an action was characterized by irreversible decrease of absorption in the first electronic band, the decrease of absorption observed being proportional to the squared intensity. This points to a two - step character of the excitation process, and both the first singlet S1 state and the first triplet T1 state can be served as its intermediate state. When absorbing successively two UV quanta the molecule under irradiation acquires energy ~ 9.3 ev that exceeds the ionization limit. As a result, some photoproducts are formed which qualitatively differ from those formed by ordinary low-intensity UV irradiation .
KeywordsHydrated Adduct Adenine Pyrimidine Purine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.G.Kryukov, V.S.Letokhov, Yu.A.Matveetz, D.N.Nikogosyan, A.V.Sharkov: in Picosecond Phenomena, ed. by C.V.Shank, E.P. Ippen,S.L. Shapiro,Springer Series in Chemical Physics, Vol. 4 (Springer,Berlin,Heidelberg,New York 1978) p. 158Google Scholar
- 2.P.G.Kryukov, V.S.Letokhov, D.N.Nikogosyan, A.V.Borodavkin, E.I.Budowsky, N.A.Simukova: Chem.Phys.Lett.61,375(1979)Google Scholar
- 3.D.N.Nikogosyan, D.A.Angelov: Dokl.Akad.Nauk SSSR (Russian) 1980, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 4.D.A.Angelov, D.N.Nikogosyan, A.A.Oraevsky: Kvantovaya Elektronika (Russian) 7,N 11(1980)Google Scholar
- 5.D.A.Angelov, P.G.Kryukov, V.S.Letokhov, D.N.Nikogosyan, A.A.Oraevsky: Kvantovaya Elektronika (Russian), 7,1304(1980).Google Scholar
- 6.D.A.Angelov, P.G.Kryukov, V.S.Letokhov, D.N.Nikogosyan, A.A.Oraevsky: Kvantovaya Elektronika (Russian), to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 7.D.A.Angelov, P.G.Kryukov, V.S.Letokhov, D.N.Mkogosyan, A.A.Oraevsky: Appl.Phys.21,391(1980)Google Scholar
- 8.A.A.Belogurov, G.B.Zavilgelskij, D.A.Angelov, P.G.Kryukov, V.S.Letokhov, D.H.Hikogosyan: Studia Biophysica 78,N 2(1980)Google Scholar
- 9.G.G.Gurzadyan, D.N.Nikogosyan, P.G.Kryukov, V.S.Letokhov, T.S.Balmukhanov, A.A.Belogurov, G.B.Zavilgelskij: Biophy- sika (Russian), to be publishedGoogle Scholar