Advertisement

Transcervical Tubal Cannulation

  • Jacek W. Graczykowski
  • David B. Seifer

Abstract

Bilateral or unilateral proximal tubal obstruction (PTO) is a common finding on a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) obtained as a part of the infertility workup. The traditional management of this radiologic finding is laparoscopic assessment of the oviducts. If no spill of transcervically injected contrast is noted from the fimbriated end of the fallopian tube, microsurgical resection of the obliterated segment of the oviduct and anastomosis is performed. HSG alone has a nearly 40% false-positive rate, and PTO is often overdiagnosed. Laparoscopic evaluation of PTO does not eliminate the false-positive rate. Serious pathology is found in only 40% of the microsurgically resected tubal segments, and amorphous casts, calcifications, or a patent lumen are the findings in the remaining 60% of the excised oviducts. Therefore the need for major abdominal surgery can be questioned in such cases.

Keywords

Fallopian Tube Ectopic Pregnancy Uterine Cavity Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Tubal Patency 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Suggested Reading

  1. American Fertility Society [presently American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Guideline for Practice. Tubal Disease. Birmingham, AL: AFS, February 15, 1993.Google Scholar
  2. Lang EK. The efficacy of transcervical recanalization of obstructed postoperative fallopian tubes. Eur Radiol 1998;8:461–465.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. Letterie GS, Sakas EL. Histology of proximal tubal obstruction in cases of unsuccessful tubal canalization. Fertil Steril 1991;56:831–835.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  4. Novy MJ, Thurmond AS, Patton P, Uchida BT, Rosch J. Diagnosis of cornual obstruction by transcervical fallopian tube cannulation. Fertil Steril 1988;50:434–440.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  5. Osada H, Kiyoshi Fujii T, Tsunoda I. Outpatient evaluation and treatment of tubal obstruction with selective salpingography and balloon tuboplasty. Fertil Steril 2000;73:1032–1036.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. Risquez F, Confino E. Transcervical tubal cannulation, past, present, and future. Fertil Steril 1993,60:211–226.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  7. Thurmond AS, Rosch J. Nonsurgical fallopian tube recanalization for treatment of infertility. Radiology 1990;174:371–374.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  8. Thurmond AS. Pregnancies after selective salpingography and tubal recanalization [editorial]. Radiology 1994;190:11–13.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  9. Woolcott R. Proximal tubal occlusion: a practical approach. Hum Reprod 1996;11:1831–1833.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  10. Woolcott R, Petchpud A, O’Donnell P, Stanger J. Differential impact on pregnancy rate of selective salpingography, tubal catheterization and wire-guided recanalization in the treatment of proximal fallopian tube obstruction. Hum Reprod 1995;10:1423–1426.PubMedGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag New York, Inc. 2002

Authors and Affiliations

  • Jacek W. Graczykowski
  • David B. Seifer

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations