Ultrastructural and Biological Evidence for the Presence and likely Functions of Acetylcholine in the Hypothalamo-neurohypophysial System
Since the Bristol Symposium more information has become available on the mechanisms of storage, transport and release of the neurosecretory products in the hypothalamo-neurohypophysial system of vertebrates (Douglas and Poisner, 1964a, b; Lederis, 1964; Smith and Thorn, 1965; Daniel and Lederis, 1966; Ginsburg and Ireland, 1966; Ginsburg, Jayasena and Thomas, 1966). However, no evidence has been added to clarify the definition and the role of the so called synaptic vesicles in the neurohypophysis. It had been suggested that the definition synaptic be used with caution until evidence became available on whether or not these vesicles were indeed located in synaptic nerve endings and whether they contain a synaptic transmitter substance (Lederis, 1965).
KeywordsArginine Noradrenaline Choline Catecholamine Acetylcholine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barer, R., and K. Lederis (1966): Ultrastructure of the rabbit neurohypophysis with special reference to hormone release. Z. Zellforsch. (in press).Google Scholar
- Bargmann, W. (1962): Histologie und mikroskopische Anatomie des Menschen, 5. Aufl., S. 354–358. Stuttgart: Georg Thieme.Google Scholar
- Ellman, G. L., Diane K. Courtney, V. Jr. Andres, and R. M. Featherston (1961): A new and rapid colourimetric determination of acetyl-cholinesterase activity.Google Scholar
- Holmes, R. L. (1961): Esterases of the hypothalamo-hypophysial system. Proc. Anat. Soc. Gt. Brit. and Ireland, Nov. 1961. In: Cytology of Nervous Tissues. London: Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- Lederis, K., and A. Livingston (1966): Acetylcholine content in the rabbit neurohypophysis. J. Physiol. 185, 37–38.Google Scholar
- Livingston, A. (1966): Acetylcholinesterase content in the rabbit neurohypophysis. J. Physiol. (in press).Google Scholar
- De Robertis, E. (1962): Ultrastructure and function in some neurosecretory system. In: Neurosecretion. (H. Heller, and R. B. Clark, Eds.) pp. 3–20. London-New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- De Robertis, E., A. Pellegrino de Iraldi, R. de Lores Arneiz, and L. Salganicoff (1961): Electron microscope observations on nerve endings isolated from rat brain. Anat. Rec. 139, 220.Google Scholar
- Szerb, J. C. (1961): The estimation of acetylcholine, using leech muscle in a microbath. J. Physiol. 158, 8–9.Google Scholar