Empirical Constraints on Coronal Heating Processes
Observations of the transition regions and coronae of main-sequence stars that constrain coronal heating theories are reviewed. The significance of the form of the emission measure distribution and of correlations between transition region and coronal fluxes is discussed. Existing measurements of emission line widths place limits on the available wave flux. Correlations can be found between coronal parameters and stellar rotation rates, without knowledge of the heating mechanism. Measurements of surface magnetic fields and their dependence on rotation are vital in understanding coronal heating. At present, heating via stochastic or twisted fields seems the most plausible mechanism.
KeywordsConvection Peris Boris Cote Bonnet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dere, K.P., Mason, H.E.: 1981, in Solar Active Regions, ed. F.Q. Orrall (Colorado Assoc. Univ. Press), p. 129.Google Scholar
- Dere, K.P., Bartoe, J.-D.F., Brueckner, G.E.: 1990, Ap. J., In press.Google Scholar
- Gomez, D.O.: 1990, CFA Preprint No. 3066, in Fundamentals of Cosmic Physics, In press.Google Scholar
- Jordan, C.: 1986, in New Insights in Astrophysics, ESA SP-263, ed. E.J. Rolfe, p. 17.Google Scholar
- Meyer, F.: 1976, in The Energy Balance and Hydrodynamics of the Solar Chromosphere and Corona, ed. R.M. Bonnet and Ph. Delache, p. 111.Google Scholar
- Montesinos, B., Jordan, C.: 1988, in A Decade of UV Astronomy with IUE, ESA SP-281, Vol.1, p. 283.Google Scholar
- Pneuman, G.W., Orrall, F.Q.: 1986, in Physics of the Sun, Vol. II, ed. P.A. Sturrock (Dordrecht:Reidel), p. 71.Google Scholar
- Rosner, R., Low, B.C., Holzer, T.E.: 1986, in Physics of the Sun, Vol. II, ed. P.A. Sturrock (Dordrecht:Reidel), p. 135.Google Scholar
- Spicer, D.S., Mariska, J.T., Boris, J.P.: 1986, in Physics of the Sun, Vol. II, ed. P.A. Sturrock (Dordrecht:Reidel), p. 181.Google Scholar