Resonant Raman Effect in CdS and ZnSe
Preliminary studies of lattice Raman scattering from CdS disclosed a large enhancement of the Raman cross-section as the excitation photon energy approached that of the band gap. Predictions of this resonance effect were common in the literature, but different theories[2–4] yielded rather different quantitative results. In an effort to discriminate among the several theories we have measured the absolute percentage increase of Raman cross section of transverse and longitudinal optical phonons, as well as polaritons, in CdS and ZnSe. While we have been unable to explain in detail the empirical results of our experiments, we are motivated in our present communication by the belief that their novelty and complexity will prompt others to hypothesize explanations.
KeywordsQuartz Argon Calcite Refraction ZnSe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.L.N. Ovander, Fiz. Tverd. Tela. 3, 2394 (1961), (Translation: Soviet Physics — Solid State 3, 1737 (1961)).Google Scholar
- 7a.M. YaTsenter and YaS. Bobovich, Opt. i Speetroskopiya 16, 246 (1964). (Translation: Opt. Spectry. (USSR) 16, 134, 228 (1964).Google Scholar
- 7b.M. YaTsenter and YaS. Bobovich, Opt. i Speetroskopiya 16, 417 (1964).Google Scholar
- 12.S. Ushioda, A. Pinczuk, W. Taylor and E. Burstein, “Proceedings of the II–VI Semiconducting Compounds 1967 Conf.,” p. 1185, D.G. Thomas (ed.).Google Scholar
- 13.E.H. Turner et al. (to be published).Google Scholar