Identity and Reducibility Properties of Some Blocking and Non-Blocking Mechanisms in Congested Networks
Networks of queues with blocking are used for representing resource constraints in production, communication and computer systems. Different types of blocking which have been studied in various application fields will be compared and proved to be either identical (in terms of general performance indices) or reducible one to the other. The case is also shown of identity and reducibility properties holding between some types of blocking networks and some types of non-blocking ones.
KeywordsDestination Node General Topology Blocking Model Queueing Network State Transition Diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bals83]Balsamo, S., Lazeolla, G., “Some equivalence properties for queueing networks with and without blocking”, Proc. Performance ’83 Symposium, North Holland, (1983).Google Scholar
- [Bals86]Balsamo, S., De Nitto Persona, V., Lazeolla, G., “Some Equivalences of Blocking Mechanisms in Queueing Networks with Finite Capacity”, Tech. Rep. R86.02, Dep. Electr. Eng., University Roma II, (1986).Google Scholar
- [Hord81]Hordijk, A., Van Dijk, N., “Networks of Queues with Blocking”, Performance ’81, Kylstra (Ed.), North Holland, (1981), pp. 51–65.Google Scholar
- [Klei75]Kleinrock, L., “Queueing Systems. Vol. 1: Theory”, Wiley, NY, (1975).Google Scholar
- [Laza84]Lazar, A.A., Robertazzi, T.G., “The Geometry of lattices for Markovian Queueing Networks”, Columbia University, Elect. Eng. Dept., (1984).Google Scholar
- [Lazo84]Lazowska, E.D., Zahorjan, J., Graham, G.S., Sevcik, K.C., “Quantitative System Performance”, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, (1984).Google Scholar
- [Perr84]Perros, H.G., “Queueing Networks with Blocking: a Bibliography”, Perf. Eval. Rew., Spring 1984, pp. 8–12.Google Scholar
- [Saue81]Sauer, C.H., Chandy, K.M., “Computer System Performance Modeling”, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, (1981).Google Scholar
- [Suri83]Suri, R., Diehl, G.W., “A variable Buffer Size Model and its use in Analytic Closed Queueing Networks with Blocking”, Hardward University, Division of Applied Sciences, (1983).Google Scholar
- [Suri84]Suri, R., Diehl, G.W., “A New ‘Building Block’ for Performance Evaluation of Queueing Networks with Finite Buffers”, Proc. ACM Sigmetrics, (1984), pp. 134–142.Google Scholar