Diabetes Induced in Experimental animals by Insulin antibodies
Untill 1955, surgical removal of the pancreas or selective destruction of the beta-cells by alloxan injection were the commonest methods for producing an insulin deficient state. These procedures were open to criticism for numerous reasons: severe lesions induced in other organs, delayed appearance of the diabetic state, irreversibility of this condition. In fact those procedures studied far more the secondary injuries to the enzyme machinery of the tissues than the direct effects of the insulin deficiency.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Altzuler, N., R. Steel, J. Tobin, I. Rathgeb, and R. C. De Bodo: Effect of anti-insulin serum on glucose production and uptake in dogs. In Excerpta Medica International Congress Series No 74, Abstract No 333, p. 168, 1964.Google Scholar
- Armin, J., N. F. Cunningham, R. T. Grant, M. K. Lloyd, and P. H. Wright: Acute insulin deficiency provoked in the dog, pig and sheep by single injections of anti-insulin serum. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 157, 64 (1961).Google Scholar
- Armin, J., R. T. Grant, and P. H. Wright: Acute insulin deficiency provoked by single injections of anti-insulin serum. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 153, 131 (1960).Google Scholar
- Cunningham, N. F., D. S. P. Patterson, and P. H. Wright: Acute insulin deficiency provoked in sheep and cows by single injections of anti-insulin serum. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 169, 137 (1963).Google Scholar
- Kitigawa, M., K. Onoue, Y. Okamura, M. Anai, and Y. Yamamura: Immunochemical studies of insulin. II. The specificity of insulin-neutralising antibody and experimental diabetes. J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 48, 483 (1960).Google Scholar
- —, F. Malaisse-Lagae et P. H. Wright. In preparation (1966)Google Scholar
- Ooms, H. A., J. Litvine, Y. Arnould, W. Malaisse, and J. R. M. Franckson: 1966. In preparation.Google Scholar
- Robinson, B. H. B., and P. H. Wright: Guinea-pig anti-insulin serum. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 155, 302 (1961).Google Scholar
- Wright, P. H.: Hormone antibodies in Endocrinology, Vitamins and Hormones. 1966. In press.Google Scholar
- — Experimental insulin deficiency due to insulin antibodies. In press.Google Scholar