Reactor Control via State Variable Feedback
A conceptual controller for a thermionic nuclear reactor space power plant utilizing state variable feedback is discussed. The computation and implementation problems usually associated with high order optimal control problems are avoided by a simplified mathematical formulation in which constraints are added in the physical system rather than in the modeling process. This deceptively simple approach is made possible by plant input limiting before state variable feedback is used to form the closed loop system. Frequency domain methods are used throughout.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Athans, M., and P. L. Falb: “Optimal Control; An Introduction to the Theory and its Applications,” McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- 2.Weaver, L. E., Reactor Dynamics and Control American Elsevier Publishing Co., Inc., New York, 1968.Google Scholar
- 3.Gronroos, H., “Analog Studies of Thermionic Reactor Dynamics,” Space Programs Summary 37–46, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, June 30, 1967.Google Scholar
- 4.Davis, J. P., Gronroos, H. G., Phillips, W. M., “Review of Industry-Proposed In-Pile Thermionic Space Reactors: Volume 1. General” Technical Memorandum 33–262, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, October 15, 1965.Google Scholar
- 5.Parametric Study of High Power In-Pile Nuclear Thermionic Space Powerplants,“ Report PWA-2319, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Company, East Hartford, Conn., March 1, 1964.Google Scholar
- 6.Schultz, D. G., and Melsa, J. L., State Functions and Linear Control Systems McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- 7.Kalman, R. E., “When is a Linear Control System Optimal?”, J. Basic Engr. Ser. D, Vol. 86, pp. 51–60, March 1964Google Scholar
- 8.Weaver, L. E., Gronroos, H. G., Guppy, J. G., and Davis, J. P., “A Control System Study for an In-Core Thermionic Reactor,” Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, May 1968.Google Scholar
- 9.Parehk, H. B., “Intentional Nonlinearity in a State Variable Feedback System,” M.S. Thesis, Univ. of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, December 1967.Google Scholar
- 10.Gibson, J. E., Nonlinear Automatic Control McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1963.Google Scholar
- 11.Popov, V. M., “On Absolute Stability of Automatic Control Systems,” Automation and Remote Control, No. 8, 1961Google Scholar
- 12.Herring, J. W., et al., “Design of Linear and Non-linear Control Systems via State Variable Feedback, with Application in Nuclear Reactor Control,” Engineering Experiment Station, College of Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, February 1967.Google Scholar