Crew Pairing for a Regional Carrier
This paper addresses the problem of generating valid crew pairings in the context of a regional air carrier. The classical column generation solution approach based on extensive enumeration of all valid duties is impractical in this context where duties comprise ten to twelve legs. In order to alleviate this difficulty, we propose an alternative approach which takes into account all work rules and air traffic regulations during the construction of valid crew pairings. Two network structures compatible with this approach are described. The first is a leg-on-node model while the second involves a leg-on-arc representation. Computational results obtained with the GENCOL optimizer on problems varying from 63 to 986 legs lead us to conclude that the leg-on-arc representation is substantially more efficient. In addition, we study the cost impact of three changes in the operating scenario. Finally, we illustrate how bounded perturbation variables virtually eliminate degeneracy, hence significantly decreasing CPU time.
KeywordsColumn Generation Master Problem Linear Relaxation Crew Schedule Connection Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barnhart, C./Johnson, E.L./Anbil, R./Hatay, L. (1994): A Column Generation Technique for the Long-Haul Crew Assignment Problem. in: Ciriani, T.A./Leachman, R.C.(eds.): Optimization in Industry 2. (John Wiley) New York, 7–22.Google Scholar
- Crainic, T.G./Rousseau, J.-M. (1987): The Column Generation Principle and the Airline Crew Scheduling Problem. INFOR 25, 136–151.Google Scholar
- Desaulniers, G./Desrosiers, J./Ioachim, I./Solomon, M.M./Soumis, F./Villeneuve, D. (1998): A Unified Framework for Deterministic Time Constrained Vehicle Routing and Crew Scheduling Problems. in: Crainic, T./Laporte, G. (eds.): Fleet Management and Logistics.Google Scholar
- Desrosiers, J./Dumas, Y./Solomon, M.M./Soumis, F. (1995): Time Constrained Routing and Scheduling. in: Ball, M.O./Magnanti, T.L./ Monma, C.L./Nemhauser, G.L. (eds.): Network Routing, Handbooks in O.R. & M.S. 8, (Elsevier) Amsterdam, 35–139.Google Scholar
- du Merle, O./Villeneuve, D./Desrosiers, J./Hansen, P. (1997): Stabilized Column Generation. Les Cahiers du GERAD, G-98–06, École des Hautes Études Commerciales, Montréal, Canada, H3T 2A7.Google Scholar
- Etschmaier, M.M./Mathaisel, D.F.X. (1985): Airline Scheduling: An Overview. Transportation Science 19, 127–138.Google Scholar
- Salkin, H.M. (1975): Integer Programming (Addison-Wesley) Reading, Mass.Google Scholar