Recently, workers in neurosurgery research have studied the effect of laser radiation in neural tissue. Interest in these studies evolved because the laser provided a new form of energy characterized by a precisely controlled beam with power density which could be accurately varied. Furthermore, the recent development of high repetitive rate, watercooled laser systems has been of unmistakable significance to this advance. As will be shown later in the chapter, low energy densities may be used to cause the desired and precise destruction in areas of the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves which permits the use of relatively simple laser systems.
KeywordsLaser Radiation Cerebral Edema Subdural Hematoma Ruby Laser Laser Impact
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, T. E., C. True, R. L. McLaurin, P. Hornby, and R. J. Rockwell: Laser radiation. II. Long term effects of laser radiation on certain intracranial structures. Neurology, in press.Google Scholar
- Brown, T. E., C. True, R. L. McLaurin, P. Hornby, and R. J. Rockwell: Thalamotomies caused by pulsed ruby laser. Neurology, in press.Google Scholar
- Fox, J. L., J. R. Hayes, and M. N. Stein: The effects of laser radiation on intracranial structure. First Ann. Biomedical Laser Conf. of the Laser Medical Research Foundation, June, 1965.Google Scholar
- Goldman, L.: Dermatologic manifestations of laser radiation. Fed. Proc., Suppl., 14, 24: 92–93, 1965.Google Scholar
- Liss, L. and R. Roppel: Histopathology of laser-produced lesions in cat brains. (Abstract) Presented at program of the American Academy of Neurology. April, 1965 ( Cleveland).Google Scholar
- Mendelson, J. A. and N. B. Ackerman: Study of biologically significant forces following laser irradiation. Fed. Proc., Suppl., 14 (Part III ), 24: 111–115, 1965.Google Scholar
- Rosomoff, H. L.: Effect of ruby laser on brain and neoplasm. Presented at First Ann. Biomedical Laser Conf. of the Laser Medical Research Foundation, June, 1965.Google Scholar
- Stellar, S.: Effects of laser energy on brain and nerve tissues. Laser Focus, #15, 1: 3–5, 1965.Google Scholar
- Stellar, S.: Effects of laser energy on brain and nerve tissues. Presented at First Ann. Biomedical Laser Conf. of the Laser Medical Research Foundation, June 17–18, 1965.Google Scholar