Biogenesis of Galα(1–4)Gal binding P-pili of Uropathogenic E. Coli
Escherichia coli is the most common cause of urinary tract infections (UTI). Depending on the virulence of the organism and the efficiency of the host defense system, these UTI appear either as asymptomatic bacteriuria, acute cystitis or acute pyelonephritis. A number of putative virulence properties have been recognized in E. coli isolates associated with acute pyelonephritis in otherwise uncompromised children. One such property is the ability to express mannose-resistant (MR) hemagglutinins. Most E. coli are capable of forming type 1 pili that carry a mannosespecific adhesin. Pyelonephritogenic E. coli additionally carry one or more chromosomal gene clusters that encode pili associated with MR hemagglutination. Of the several MR hemagglutinins that are known today, the best characterized is the Galα(1–4)Gal-specific adhesin associated with P-pili. The name P-pili refers to the observation that this adhesin acts as a hemagglutinin for erythrocytes which express any of the P blood group antigens.
KeywordsCarboxyl Proline Half Life Hull Lysozyme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lindberg F, Lund B, Johansson L, Normark S (1987) The receptor-binding adhesin is located at the tip of the bacterial pilus. Nature, accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- 3.Båga M, Norgren M, Normark, S (1987) Biogenesis of E. coli Pap pili: PapH, a minor pilin subunit involved in cell anchoring and length modulation. Cell 49: in press.Google Scholar
- 5.Lund B, Lindberg F, Marklund BI Normark S (1987) PapG is the Gala14Gal-specific adhesin of uropathogenic E. coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- 6.Lindberg FP, Lund B, Normark S (1984) Genes of pyelonephritogenic E. coli required for digalactoside-specific agglutination of human cells. EMBO J 3: 1167–1173.Google Scholar
- 7.Norgren M, Bâga M, Tennent JM, Normark S (1987) Nucleotide sequence, regulation, and functional analysis of the papC gene required for cell surface localization of Pap pili of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 9.Lund B (1987) Umeâ University Medical Dissertations No. 194, Department of Microbiology, University of Umeâ, Umeâ, Sweden.Google Scholar
- 10.Breimer ME (1985) Chemical and immunological identification of the Forssman pentaglycosylceramide in human kidneys. Glycoconjugate J 2: 375–385.Google Scholar
- 11.rskov I, crskov F (1983) Serology of Escherichia coli fimbriae. Prog Allergy 33: 80–105.Google Scholar
- 14.Bâga M, Göransson M, Normark S, Uhlin BE (1987) Processed mRNA with differential stability in the regulation of E. coli pilin gene expression. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar