Identification of peptidergic nervous control of gastrointestinal functions
The last 10–12 years of research have revealed that the entire gastrointestinal tract has a dense innvervation of peptidergic nerves, i.e. nerves that contain neuropeptides . However, the precise physiological role of the neuropeptides has proven very difficult to define. An additional problem was presented by the recent identification of co-existing transmitters in the gastrointestinal nerve fibres. Thus acetylcholine has been demonstrated to co-exist with peptides; amines (noradrenaline, dopamine) with peptides, and neuropeptides with other neuropeptides .
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Argent B, Arkle S (1984) Biochemical studies on pancreatic ducts isolated from copper-deficient rats. J Physiol 354: 90 PGoogle Scholar
- 2.Costa M, Furness J (1986) Anatomy of the enteric nervous system. In: Johnson LR (ed) Physiology of gastrointestinal tract, 2nd edn. Raven Press, New York, chapter 1Google Scholar
- 4.Fahrenkrug J, Gammeltoft S, Staun-Olsen P, Ottesen B, Sjoquist A (1983) Multiplicity of receptors for vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP): Differential effects of apamin on binding in brain, uterus and liver. Peptides 4: 133–136Google Scholar
- 6.Gardner JD, Jensen JT (1986) Receptors mediating the actions of secretagogues on pancreatic acinar cells. In: Go VLW, et al. (eds) The exocrine pancreas: biology, pathobiology, and diseases. Raven Press, New York, pp 109–122Google Scholar
- 9.Holst JJ, Knuhtsen S, Orskov C, Skak-Nielsen T, Poulsen SS, Jensen SL, Vagn Nielsen O (1987) GRP-nerves in the pig antrum: Role of GRP in vagal control of gastrin secretion. Am J Physiol, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 10.Holst JJ, Knuhtsen S, Orskov C, Skak-Nielsen T, Poulsen SS, Vagn Nielsen O (1987) GRP-producing nerves control antral somatostatin and gastrin secretion in pigs. Am J Physiol, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 17.McLennan H (1963) Synaptic transmission. Saunders, Philadelphia London, pp 16–24Google Scholar
- 21.Vigna SR, Giraud A, Soll AH, Walsh JH (1986) Characterization of bombesin receptors on canine antral mucosal cells. Can J Physiol Pharmacol July 1986: 4Google Scholar
- 22.Waelbroeck M, Robberecht P, Coy DH, Camus J-C, de Neef P, Christophe J (1985) Interaction of growth hormone-releasing factor (GRF) and 14 GRF analogs with vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) receptors of rat pancreas. Discovery of (N-Ac-Tyr1,D-Phe2)-GRF-(1–29)-NH2 as a VIP antagonist. Endocrinology 116: 2643–2649PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar