Use of centrally-acting agonists in the treatment of mild hypertension in the elderly patient
The treatment of patients with mild hypertension has created considerable interest in recent years. The availability of many potent antihypertensive agents allows blood pressure to be effectively controlled without major adverse effects. It is believed that control of even mild elevations of blood pressure significantly reduces the incidence of major cardiovascular complications.
KeywordsMild Hypertension Elderly Hypertensive Patient Diastolic Hypertension Pertensive Patient Sympatholytic Agent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barrett-Connor E, Criqui MH, Klauber MR, Holdbrook M (1981) Diabetes and hypertension in a community of older adults. Am J Epidemiol 113: 276–284.Google Scholar
- 5.Bühler FR, Kiowski W, Landmann R et al. (1982) Changing role of beta-and alpha-adrenoreceptor-mediated cardiovascular responses in the transition from high-cardiac output into a high-peripheral resistance phase in essential hypertension. In: Largh JH, Bühler F, Seldin D (Eds.) Frontiers in Hypertension Research, Springer-Verlag, New York, 316–326.Google Scholar
- 8.Drayer JIM, Weber MA, Sealey JE, Laragh JH (submitted for publication 1983 ). Comparison of clinical characteristics of patients with systolic and diastolic hypertension.Google Scholar
- 12.Messerli FH, Gerald MD, Dreslinski GR (1981 b) Antiadrenergic therapy: special aspects in hypertension in the elderly. Hypertension 3 (Suppl II ): 226–239.Google Scholar
- 13.Messerli FH, Glade LB, Dreslinski GR et al (1981 a) Hypertension in the elderly: haemodynamic, fluid volume and endocrine findings. Clin Sci 61: 393s - 394s.Google Scholar
- 15.Niarchos AP (1980) Pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of hypertension in the elderly. Cardiovasc Rev Rep 1: 621–627.Google Scholar
- 19.Stebbins PT, Taylor GJ, Gibson RS, Beller GA (1980) Risk factors and myocardial infarction in the elderly. Circulation 62 (Suppl III): 220–230.Google Scholar
- 20.Thananopavarn C, Golub MS, Sambhi MP (1983) Clonidine in the elderly hypertensive. Monotherapy and therapy with a diuretic. Chest 2 (Suppl): 410–411.Google Scholar
- 21.Weber MA, Drayer JIM, Gray DR (1983) Combined diuretic and sympatholytic therapy in elderly patients with predominant systolic hypertension. Chest 2 (Suppl): 416–419.Google Scholar