Mobility Spectra of Ions Created in Gases Under Atmospheric Pressure
We study the mobility, K, of ions of both signs which are produced by α or β rays under atmospheric pressure.
For small ions (K > 1 × 10-4 m2 V-1 sec-1) and intermediate ions (1 × 10-4 > K > 1 × 10-5 m2V-1 sec-1) one obtains, using a low resolution, a continuous variation of K with water vapor content of the gas or with aging time.
The law of variation of K can be related to the attachment probability P of impurity molecules to the ion. With r being the radius of the ion, this probability is given by P ∝ r -4.
KeywordsArgon Sulfuric Acid Smoke Geophysics Supersaturation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cabane, M., Thèse de Doctorat d’Etat (Paris 1973).Google Scholar
- 3.Krien, P., These de Doctorat de 3ème cycle (Paris 1974).Google Scholar
- 4.Fuchs, N. A., Evaporation and droplet growth (1959).Google Scholar
- 5.Amelin, A. G., Theory of fog condensation (Jerusalem 1967).Google Scholar
- 6.Kiang, C. S., and Stauffer, D., Disc. Faraday Soc. (Symposium Fogs and Smokes 1973).Google Scholar