Fatigue Lifetime Prediction for Uncertain Systems
Fatigue life prediction deals with factors which can be modeled as random variables, random processes or stochastic fields. Given a probabilistic definition of these factors, the life distribution results from a reliability analysis. The advanced mean value first order (AMVFO) method was suggested to minimize the number of functions to be evaluated in the computation of the probability of failure, but it works only if all the uncertainties can be regarded as random variables. A more powerful method must be used when random processes and random fields are present; the potentialities of an extended response surface method are illustrated in this paper. The cumulative distribution function (CDF) of the number of cycles to failure is evaluated by both methods and the results are compared and discussed.
KeywordsFatigue lifetime prediction response surface structural reliability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bignonnet, A. & Olagnon, M., Fatigue Life Prediction for Variable Amplitude Loading, X Offshore Mechanics and Artic Engineering Conference, ed. Salama M.M., Ree H.C., Kam J.P.C., Booth G.S., Williams J.G., ASME, New York, 1991, pp. 395–401.Google Scholar
- 2.Broek D., Elementary Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.Casciati F. & Faravelli L., Fragility Analysis of Complex Structural System Research Studies Press Ltd., Taunton, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.Casciati F. & Colombi P., Load Combination and Related Fatigue Reliability Problems, Structural Safety, in press.Google Scholar
- 7.Faravelli L., Structural Reliability via Response Surface, Nonlinear Stochastic Mechanics, ed. Bellomo N. & asciati F., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1991, pp. 213–223.Google Scholar
- 11.Schijve J., Observation on the Prediction of Fatigue Crack Growth Propagation under Variable Amplitude Loading, Fatigue Crack Growth Under Spectrum Loads, ASTM SPT 595, 1976.Google Scholar
- 14.Wirshing P.H., Ortiz K. & Chen Y.N., Fracture Mechanics Fatigue Model in a Reliability Format, VI Int. Symp. Offshore Mech. and Artic Eng., ASME, New York, 1987, pp. 331–337.Google Scholar
- 16.Wu Y.T., Burnside O.H. & Dominquez J., Efficient Probabilistic Fracture Mechanics Analysis, Fourth Int. Conf. Numerical Methods in Fracture Mechanics, Pineridge Press, Swansea, 1987, pp. 85–100.Google Scholar
- 17.Wu Y.T., Millwater H.R. & Cruse T.A., An Advanced Probability Structural Analysis Method for Implicit Performance Functions, 30th Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Mobile, Alabama, 1989.Google Scholar