The Role of Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide in the Regenerating Facial Nucleus
Neuronal injury is known to induce characteristic changes in axotomised neurons [2, 15, 20, 25] that are accompanied by a perineuronal glial reaction . These alterations are thought to enable the neuron to initiate neurite outgrowth and to successfully regenerate its peripheral axon . The complex cellular interactions and their regulation during neuronal regeneration are as yet poorly understood. Insight into the mechanisms regulating this process might also provide important clues for the treatment of neurological disease. The recent discovery of neuropeptides with trophic and differentiation-inducing effects has provided a new approach to this problem.
KeywordsAdenosine Polypeptide Peri Calcitonin Monophosphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Anderson HJ, Aguayo AJ, Blackshaw SE, Bray D, Gilliatt RW, Grinnell AD, Kreutzberg GW, Parnas I, Purves D, Rothshenker S, Schwab ME, Willard MB., (1982) Early responses to neural injury. In: Nicholls JG., (ed) Repair and regeneration of the nervous system. Report of the Dahlem workshop on repair and regeneration of the nervous system, Berlin, 29. Nov-4. Dec 1981, Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 315–339Google Scholar
- 6.Dennis T, Fournier A, Cadieux A, Pomerleau F, Jolicouer FB, StPierre S, Quirion R., (1990) hCGRPg-37, a calcitonin generelated peptide antagonist revealing calcitonin generelated peptide heterogeneity in brain and periphery. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 254: 123–128Google Scholar
- 7.Dumoulin FL (1991) Calcitonin gene-related peptide in der Regeneration motorischer und sensorischer Neurone der Ratte. MD thesis, Technical University of MunichGoogle Scholar
- 14.Graeber MB, Kreutzberg GW., (1988) Delayed astrocyte reaction following facial nerve axotomy. J Neurocytol 17: 209–220Google Scholar
- 15.Grafstein B, McQuarrie IG., (1978) Role of the nerve cell body in axonal regeneration. In: Cotman CW., (ed) Neuronal plasticity. Raven, New York, pp 155–195Google Scholar
- 20.Kreutzberg GW., (1982) Acute neural reaction to injury. In: Nicholls JG., (ed) Repair and regeneration of the nervous system. Report of the Dahlem workshop on repair and regeneration of the nervous system, Berlin, 29. Nov-4. Dec. 1981, Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 57–69Google Scholar
- 25.Lieberman AR., (1971) The axon reaction: a review of the principal features of perikaryal responses to axon injury. In: Pfeiffer CC, Smythies JR., (eds) International review of neurobiology, vol 14. Academic, New York, pp 49–124Google Scholar
- 27.Noguchi K, Senba E, Morita Y, Sato M, Tohyama M., (1990) cx- CGRP and J3-CGRP mRNAs are differentially regulated in the rat spinal cord and dorsal root ganglion. Mol Brain Res 7: 299–304Google Scholar