Quantum Vibrational Motion in Polyatomic Molecules from Femtoseconds to Days
We provide a brief review of the work from the Zürich group on the primary processes of molecular motion and kinetics during and after excitation of vibrational motion by intense coherent infrared radiation. Very short (fs and below) and very long (Ms) time scales are considered. We emphasize the fundamental concepts and provide a comparative discussion of the “direct” kinetic approach, say, by time resolved pump-probe spectroscopy and the “indirect” spectroscopic approach, emphasized in our work. Some recent results on wavepacket motion in functional groups of polyatomic molecules are mentioned and a list of key references is provided.
KeywordsEntropy Microwave Enthalpy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.M. Quack, NATO ASI Series 299, 293 (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.M. Quack, J. Stohner, E. Sutcliffe: Time-resolved vibrational spectroscopy, Springer Proceedings in Physics 4, 284 (1985)Google Scholar
- 11.H. Groß, Y. He, M. Quack, G. Seyfang: at this conference (this volume)Google Scholar
- 13.T. Elsässer: at this conference (this volume)Google Scholar
- T.P. Dougherty, E.J. Heilweil: at this conference (this volume)Google Scholar
- R. Mathies: at this conference (this volume)Google Scholar
- R.M. Hochstrasser: at this conference (this volume)Google Scholar
- 14.The international system of units (SI), (Imprimerie Durand, Paris 1991), CIPM 1990 resolution to 19th CG PM, p. 105 and p. 77Google Scholar
- 15.G. Herzberg: Molecular Spectra and Molecular Structure, Vols. I,II,III (van Nostrand, Toronto 1950, 1945, 1966 )Google Scholar
- 16.H.W. Kroto: Molecular Rotation Spectra ( Wiley, New York 1975 )Google Scholar
- 19.M. Quack, J. Stohner: J. Phys. Chem. (1993) in pressGoogle Scholar