Generation of Graphitic Onions
We present a structural study of nanometric graphitic particles formed by nested fullerenes (onion-like). Carbon onions generated by high energy electron irradiation of carbonaceous materials present a remarkable spherical shape. As the electron bombardment is realized in situ in a electron microscope, the dynamic of the formation may be followed in real time. Macroscopic quantity of onion-like graphitic particles (3-10 nm in diameter) may be obtained by a simple thermal treatment of carbon soot.
KeywordsElectron Irradiation High Resolution Electron Microscope Macroscopic Quantity Carbon Onion Carbon Soot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.D. Ugarte, Chem. Phys. Lett., in press.Google Scholar
- 7.W.A. de Heer and D. Ugarte, Chem. Phys. Lett., in press.Google Scholar
- 12.D. Ugarte, Europhys. Lett., in press.Google Scholar
- 13.D. Tomanek, W. Zhong and E. Krastev, submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 15.L. Henrard, A.A. Lucas and Ph. Lambin, Astrophys. J. (accepted).Google Scholar