Present Status of EORTC Trials of Hyperfractionated and Accelerated Radiotherapy on Head and Neck Carcinoma
The European Organization for Research on Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Cooperative Group of Radiotherapy started phase II and III trials on modified fractionation schemes in 1980. As of June 1, 1992, 2006 patients have entered eight trials. This short overview will only concentrate on two phase III trials of hyperfractionation (EORTC trial 22791) and accelerated fractionation (trial 22851).
KeywordsToxicity Pancreatitis Fractionation Oncol Stratification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Horiot JC, Nabid A, Chaplain G et al. (1982) Clinical experience with multiple fractions per day (MFD) in the radiotherapy of head and neck carcinoma. J Eur Radiother 3 (2): 79–89Google Scholar
- Horiot JC, van Den Bogaert W, Ang KK et al. (1988a) Trials using radiotherapy with multiple fractions per day. In: Banfi A, Lattvada A, Santoro A, Lucali R (eds) Radioterapia e trattamenti integrati. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, Milan, pp 17–25Google Scholar
- Horiot JC, van Den Bogaert W, Ang KK et al. (1988b) European Organization for Research on Treatment of Cancer trials using radiotherapy with multiple fractions per day. A 1978–1987 survey. In: Vaeth JM, Meyer J (eds) Frontiers of radiation therapy and oncology. Karger, Basel, pp 149–161Google Scholar
- Van Den Bogaert W, Horiot JC, van der Schueren E (1989) Radiotherapy with multiple fractions per day. In: Steel GG, Adams GE, Horwich A (eds) The biological basis of radiotherapy, 2nd edn. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 209–222Google Scholar
- Withers R, Horiot JC (1987) Hyperfractionation. In: Withers R, Peters LJ (eds) Innovations in radiation oncology. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 223–230Google Scholar