Cocaine: Medical Toxicity
By 1990, cocaine had become the recreational drug of choice in the United States, as well as many other parts of the world. In the US it is now the number one cause for drug-related emergency department Visits in urban settings and is showing an increasing association with ICU admissions. Although the mechanisms of cocaine toxicity are not well understood, the drug can affect nearly every organ system. It is an important cause of fatalities, and is currently the second most common cause of drug-related death. Physicians should maintain a healthy index of suspicion for the presence of cocaine use in appropriate patient populations, and should be aware of the broad range of medical toxicity which can be associated with its use .
KeywordsToxicity Ischemia Cardiomyopathy Alkaloid Cardiol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Crack (1986) The Medical Letter 28: 8369–8370Google Scholar
- 4.Cregler LL, Mark H (1986) Cardiovascular dangers of cocaine abuse. Am J Cardiol 57:1185– 1186Google Scholar
- 13.Myers JA, Barnett MF (1984) Generalized seizures and cocaine abuse. Neurology 344:1675– 1676Google Scholar
- 14.Post RM, Kopanda RT (1976) Cocaine, kindling, and psychosis. Am J Psych 133: 627–634Google Scholar
- 16.Panacek EA, Singer AJ, Sherman BW, et al. (1992) Spontaneous Pneumomediastinum. Clinical and Natural History 21: 1222–1227Google Scholar
- 17.Patal RC, Dutta D, Schonfeld SA (1987) Free–base cocaine use associated with bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia. Ann Intern Med 107: 186–187Google Scholar
- 18.Merigan J, Roberts KS (1987) Cocaine intoxication: Hyperpyrexia, rhabdomyolysis, and acute renal failure. Clin Toxicol 25: 135–148Google Scholar
- 20.Perinol LE, Warren GE, Levine JS (1987) Cocaine induced hepatoxicity in humans. Gastroenterology 93: 176–180Google Scholar
- 21.Bessen HA (1987) Treatment of cocaine toxicity. Ann Emerg Med 16: 1922Google Scholar
- 22.Deriet RW, Albertson TE (1989) Agents that protect against cocaine induced death and seizures. Ann Emerg Med 18: 446Google Scholar
- 25.Deriet RW, Albertson TE (1990) Potentiation of cocaine toxicity with lidocaine. Ann Emerg Med 19: 464–465Google Scholar