Clinical Significance of Cytogenetic Studies in Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Experience of the BFM Trials
During the past few years the number of cytogenetic analyses carried out on bone marrow and blood samples from children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) has gradually increased, and as the number of patients found to have chromosomal aberrations in their leukemic cells rose, the clinical importance of these abnormalities became clearer. There is no doubt about the specificity of several chromosomal changes, e.g., t(8;14) in B-cell malignancies (Kaneko et al. 1980; Berger et al. 1985) or the translocations involving the band 14qll (Williams et al. 1984; Harbott et al. 1986; Lampert et al. 1988), which can be helpful in leukemia diagnosis. The prognostic meaning of these typical aberrations, however, is not yet clear. Although most authors describe the chromosomal aberrations as an independent prognostic factor (Kaneko et al. 1981; Morse et al. 1983; Bloomfield et al. 1986; Williams et al. 1986; Yunis et al. 1986; Seeker-Walker 1990), it has become evident during the last few years that their prognostic importance may be overcome by appropriate therapy (Fletcher et al. 1989; Seeker- Walker 1990; Raimondi et al. 1990).
KeywordsLymphoma Leukemia Oncol Trypsin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berger R, Bernheim A (1985) Cytogenetics of Burkitt’s lymphoma-leukaemia: a review. In: Lenoir G, O’Connor G, Olweny CLM (eds) Burkitt’s lymphoma: a human cancer model. IARC Sci Publ 600: 65–80Google Scholar
- Bloomfield CD, Goldman AI, Alimena G, Borgström GH, Brandt L, Catovsky D, de la Chapelle A, Dewald GW, Garson OM, Garwicz S, Golomb HM, Hossfeld DK et al. (1986) Chromosomal abnormalities identify high-risk and low-risk patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood 67: 415–420PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Crist WM, Carroll AJ, Shuster JJ, Jackson JF, Head DR, Borowitz MJ, Behm FG, Link MP, Steuber CP, Ragab AH, Hirt A, Brock B, Land VJ, Pullen DJ (1990) Philadelphia chromosome positive childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Clinical and cytogenetic characteristics and treatment outcome. A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Blood 76: 489–494PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Harbott J, Ritterbach J, Janka-Schaub G, Ludwig WD, Reiter A, Riehm H, Lampert F (1990a) Cytogenetics of childhood ALL in German multicenter trials. Haematol Blood Transf US 33: 451–459Google Scholar
- Harbott J, Ritterbach J, Reiter A, Riehm H, Lampert F (1990b) Philadelphia positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. An independent subgroup with poor prognosis. Klin Padiatr 202: 289 (abstr)Google Scholar
- Heim S, Mitelman F (1987) Cancer cytogenetics. Liss, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Jackson JF, Boyett J, Pullen DJ, Brock B, Patterson R, Land VJ, Borowitz MJ, Head DR, Crist WM (1990) Favorable prognosis associated with hyperdiploidy in children with acute lymphocytic leukemia correlates with extra chromosome 6: a Pediatric Oncology Group study. Cancer 66: 1183–1189PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lampert F, Harbott J, Ritterbach J, Ludwig WD, Fonatsch C, Schwamborn D, Stier B, Gnekow A, Gerein V, Stollmann B, Jobke A, Janka-Schaub G (1988) T-cell acute childhood lymphoblastic leukemia with chromosome 14qll anomaly: a morphologic, immunologic, and cytogenetic analysis of 10 patients. Blut 56: 117–123PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pui CH, Frankel LS, Carroll AJ, Raimondi SC, Shuster JJ, Head DR, Crist WM, Land VJ, Pullen DJ, Steuber CP, Behm FG, Borowitz MJ (1991) Clinical characteristics and treatment outcome of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia with the t(4;11)(q21;q23): a collaborative study of 40 cases. Blood 77: 440–447PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pullen DJ, Jackson JF, Crist WM, Caroll AJ, Boyett J, Borowitz MJ, Brock B, Iyer R, Buchanan G, Head DR, McWilliams N, Ragab AH (1985) Philadelphia chromosome positive (Ph+) acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) in children has clinical and biological features that predict poor prognosis and is cytogenetically and immunophenotypically heterogeneous. Blood 66:181Google Scholar
- Third International Workshop on Chromosomes in Leukemia (1983) Chromosomal abnormalities and their clinical significance in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Res 43: 868–873Google Scholar