Phonon Imaging by Electron Beam Scanning
Following the pioneering experiments of von Gutfeld and Nethercot  more than 25 years ago, the propagation of heat pulses in solids at low temperatures has been intensively studied. In these experiments a region near the crystal surface is locally heated and the transport of this thermal energy across the crystal is measured with high time resolution. This energy transport is usually associated with phonons which propagate through the crystal ballistically and/or diffusively. Of course, the magnitude of the diffusive component depends upon the purity of the sample. Typical phonon frequencies are in the gigahertz to terahertz range. Following their passage through the crystal, the phonons are registered with a sensitive phonon detector.
KeywordsTunnel Junction High Time Resolution Acoustic Tomography Superconducting Tunnel Junction NATO Advance Study Institute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. P. Wolfe, Physics Today, December 1980, p. 1Google Scholar
- G. A. Northrop and J. P. Wolfe, in Proc. NATO Advanced Study Institute on Nonequilibrium Phonon Dynamics, W. E. Bron, ed., Les Arces, Plenum, New York, 1985Google Scholar
- J. P. Wolfe, Advances in Solid State Physics, Vieweg, Braunschweig, Vol. 29, p. 75 (1989)Google Scholar
- R. P. Huebener and W. Metzger, Scanning Electron Mciroscopy, 1985, II, p. 617Google Scholar
- R. P. Huebener, Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics, P. W. Hawkes, ed., Academic Press, San Diego, Vol. 70, p. 1 (1988)Google Scholar
- R. Eichele, R. P. Huebener, and H. Seifert, Z. Phys. B - Cond. Matter 48, 89 (1982)Google Scholar
- W. Kieninger, W. Metzger, and R. P. Huebener, Appl. Phys. A41, 179 (1986)Google Scholar
- H. Kittel, E. Held, W. Klein, and R.P. Huebener, Z. Phys. B - Cond. Matter 77, 79 (1989)Google Scholar
- E. Held, W. Klein, and R. P. Huebener, Z. Phys. B - Cond. Matter 75, 17 (1989)Google Scholar
- W. Klein, E. Held, and R. P. Huebener, Z. Phys. B - Cond. Matter 69, 69 (1987)Google Scholar
- E. Held, W. Klein, and R. P. Huebener, Z. Phys. B - Cond. Matter 75, 223 (1989)Google Scholar
- E. Held, Thesis, University of Tübingen, 1989 (unpublished)Google Scholar