Violent Motion as Near Breaking Waves Meet a Vertical Wall
Very steep unsteady water waves are modelled by an accurate numerical computer program. Recent work is discussed with particular emphasis on waves that are nearly breaking as they approach a vertical wall. Extremely violent water motion is calculated in full detail, with water accelerations exceeding 1000 g, and transient pressures exceeding 30 times the hydrostatic pressure.
KeywordsSolitary Wave Vertical Wall Wave Impact Wave Face Initial Velocity Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arami, A. & Hattori (1989) Experimental study on shock wave pressures. Internal Report Civil Engng., Chuo Univ., 37–63.Google Scholar
- 3.Cooker, M. & Peregrine, D.II. (1990a) Computations of violent motion due to waves breaking against a wall. Proc.22nd Internat.Conf. on Coastal Engng., Delft.Google Scholar
- 4.Cooker, M.J. & Peregrine, D.H. (1990b) A model for breaking wave impact pressures. rroe.22nd Internat.Conf. on Coastal Engng., Delft.Google Scholar
- 5.Cooker, M.J. & Peregrine, D.H. (1991) Wave impact pressures and their effect on bodies lying on the bed. MAST G6 Proj,.1 Workshop, Hannover.Google Scholar
- 7.Dold, J.W. & Peregrine, D.H. (1986a) An efficient boundary-integral method for steep unsteady water waves. In “Numerical Methods for Fluid Dynamics II” (Eds. Dold, J.W. k Peregrine, D.II ). 671 - 679 Oxford U.P.Google Scholar
- 8.Longuet-Higgins, M.S. & Cokelet, E.D. (1976) The deformation of steep surface waves on water. I A numerical methoa of computation. Proc.Roy.Soc.Lond. A 350, 1–26.Google Scholar
- 9.New, A.L., Mclver, P. & Peregrine, D.H. (1985) Computations of overturning waves. J.Fluid Mech. 150? 233–251.Google Scholar
- 10.Passoni, G., Cooker, M.J. & Peregrine, D.H. (1990) Comparisons between theory and experiment of water-wave impact on a vertical wall. Internal Report, Mathematics, Univ. of Bristol, AM-90–19, 21 pp.Google Scholar