Visualization of Unsteady Flow in Rotating Drums
Flow visualization studies were conducted on the unsteady flow of heat and fluid in rotating drums resulting from a sudden acceleration/deceleration, both with and without a sudden application of inner surface heating. The drum consisted of an inner cylinder, an outer cylinder, and two circular plates for the side walls. The outer cylinder and side walls were transparent to allow observation. A flexible electrical heater was attached uniformly to the inner cylinder. Water and aqueous solution of glycerin at various concentrations were used as the fluid in the drum. Different methods were employed to observe unsteady recirculating flow: (1) a laser light sheet with double-exposure photography, (2) temperature-sensitive liquid crystal combined with image processing, (3) laser Doppler velocimetry, (4) temperature measurements with thermocouples. The flow patterns and temperature distributions thus obtained were compared with each other.
KeywordsGlycerin Convection Gelatin Photography Velocimetry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yang, W. J.; Kawashima, G.: Hydrodynamics in Unsteady Drums. Preprint of 2nd International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery Vol. 1, Honolulu. (1988) 33–39.Google Scholar
- 2.Kawashima, G.; Yang, W. J.: Unsteady Flow in rotating Drums using Laser Doppler Velocimetry. Experiments in Fluids 9 (1988) 165–171.Google Scholar
- 3.Kawashima, G.; Yang, W. J.: Determination of Unsteady Flow Inside Rotating Drums by Flow Visualization with Double-exposure Photograph. Measuring and Matering of Unsteady Flows, ASME FED Vol. 106, (1991) 41–46.Google Scholar
- 4.Kawashima, G.; Yang, W. J.: Light Sheet Visualization of Unsteady Recirculating Flow inside Rotating Drums. Flow Visualization V, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, Washington D. C., (1990) 633–639.Google Scholar
- 5.Yang, W. J.; Ohue, H.; Kawashima, G.:Experimental Study by L. D. V. and Flow Visualization on the Unsteady Flow Pattern in Rotating Drums. Preprint of 4th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery, Honolulu. (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.Kawashima, G.; Yang, W. J.: Experimental Study on Unsteady Recirculating Flow in Rotating and Stationary Drum Inner Surface Heating. International Symposium on Nonsteady Fluid Dynamics, ASME FED Vol. 92, (1990) 219–224.Google Scholar
- 7.Yang, W. J.; Kawashima, G.: Experimental Study on Unsteady Convection in Rotating Drums with Inner Surface Heating. Preprint of 3ed International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery, Honolulu. (1990) 156-166.Google Scholar
- 8.Kawashima, G.; Yang, W. J.; Ohue, H.: Image Processing of Flow Patterns in Rotating Drum with Inner Surface Heating using Temperature Sensitive Liquid Crystal. Preprint of internal Seminar on Imaging in transport Processes, Greece. (1992).Google Scholar