Liquid Crystal Thermography and Image Processing in Heat and Fluid Flow Experiments
This paper describes new methods which can determine quantitatively two-dimensional temperature distributions on a surface and in a fluid from colour records obtained using a thermosensitive liquid crystal material combined with image processing. Application-type experiments have been carried out both to visualise the complex temperature distribution over a cooled surface disturbed by different solid obstacles, and also to investigate temperature and flow patterns in a rectangular cavity for natural convection.
KeywordsHeat Transfer Liquid Crystal Cholesteric Liquid Crystal Local Heat Transfer Coefficient Nusselt Number Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Akino, N.; Kunugi, T.; Shiina, Y.; Ichimiya, K.; Kurosawa, A: Fundamental study on visualization of temperature fields using thermosensitive liquid-crystals. Flow Visualization V. (ed. R. Reznicek), Washington: Hemisphere (1990) 87–92.Google Scholar
- 3.Ashforth-Frost, S.; Wang, L. S.; Jambunathan, K.; Graham, D. P.; Rhine, J. M.: Application of image processing to liquid crystal thermography. Procs. Optical Methods and Data Processing in Heat and Fluid Flow, City University, London (1992) 121–126.Google Scholar
- 6.Hiller, W. J.; Kowalewski, T. A.: Simultaneous measurement of temperature and velocity fields in thermal convective flows. Flow Visualization IV (ed. C. Veret), Washington: Hemisphere (1986) 617–622.Google Scholar
- 7.Jones, T. V.; Wang, Z.; Ireland, P. T.: The use of liquid crystals in aerodynamic and heat transfer experiments. Procs. Optical Methods and Data Processing in Heat and Fluid Flow, City University, London, (1992) 51–65.Google Scholar
- 8.Moffatt, R. J.: Experimental heat transfer. Procs. 9th Intl. Heat Transfer Conf., Jerusalem, Vol. 1, (1991) 308–310.Google Scholar
- 9.Parsley, M.: The use of thermochromic crystals in heat transfer and flow visualisation. Research. FLUCOME’88, Sheffield University, England, (1988) 216–220.Google Scholar
- 10.Reinitzer, F.: Beiträge zur Kenntniss des Cholestrins, Monatschr. Chem. Wein, 9, (1888) 50–90.Google Scholar
- 11.Stasiek, J.; Collins, M. W.; Chew, P. E.: Liquid crystal mapping of local heat transfer in crossed-corrugated geometrical elements for air heat exchangers. EUROTECH DIRECT’ 91 Congress, Birmingham, England, (1991). Paper C413/040.Google Scholar
- 12.Stasiek, J.; Collins, M. W.: Internal Reports, City University, London, (1989-92).Google Scholar