Electronic Structures of Fullerenes and Fullerides
We report the electronic structures of Cho cluster, solid C60, K3 C60, and C60 Br obtained by the density-functional theory. The C60 cluster has a closed shell electronic structure with relatively large energy gap, and solid C60 becomes a semiconductor. K3 C60 is found to be an exotic ionic metal and have high density of states at the Fermi energy, which seems responsible for the observed superconductivity. On the other hand, the high electronegativity of C60 prevents hole injection in the valence band and instead the midgap state consisting of Br 4p state appears in C60Br.
KeywordsGraphite Cage Fullerene Halogen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.R. D. Johnson et al., in Clusters and Cluster-Assembled Materials, ed. R. S. Averback et al. (Mat. Res. Soc. Proc. 206, Pittsburgh, 1991) p.175.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Saito: in Clusters and Cluster-Assembled Materials (ref.9) p.115.Google Scholar
- 13.S. Saito and A. Oshiyama: Phys. Rev. B 44, 11 536 (1991).Google Scholar
- 14.K. Holczer et al.: Science 252, 1154 (1991);Google Scholar
- 17.Y. Miyamoto, A. Oshiyama, and S. Saito: (to be published).Google Scholar