Modulational Polarization Instabilities and Disorder in Birefringent Optical Fibers
We study the nonlinear dynamics of modulated waves in a nonlinear birefringent fiber. We show that, in analogy with the scalar case that is described by the nonlinear Schrödinger equation, a close correspondence may exist between the unstable behavior of two coupled periodic waves and the simple phase-space description of an equivalent nonlinear oscillator that is associated with a truncated Fourier expansion of the fields. The regular motion along these one-dimensional trajectories may break up into disordered spatio-temporal patterns.
KeywordsModulational Instability Intense Light Pulse Pump Mode Birefringent Fiber Sideband Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Yariv, Quantum Electronics (Wiley, New York, 1975) Chapt. 16–18.Google Scholar
- S.A. Akhmanov, and R.V. Khokhlov, Problems of Nonlinear Optics ( Gordon and Breach, New York, 1972 ).Google Scholar
- M.I. Dykman, and G.G. Tarasov, Soy. Phys. Solid State 24, 1361 (1982).Google Scholar
- G. Gregori, and S. Wabnitz, in Optical Bistability III, H.M. Gibbs, et al., eds. (Springer, Berlin, 1986) pp. 359–362Google Scholar
- E. Caglioti, S. Trillo, and S. Wabnitz, in Advances in Nonlinear Dynamics and Stochastic Processes II, G. Paladin, and A. Vulpiani, eds., ( World Scientific, Singapore, 1987 ) pp. 225.Google Scholar
- E. Fermi, J. Pasta, and S. Ulam, in Collected Papers of Enrico Fermi, E. Segrè, ed. ( Univ. of Chicago, Chicago, 1965 ), Vol. 2, p. 978.Google Scholar
- N. Ercolani, M.G. Forest, and D.W. McLaughlin, Physica 18D 472 (1986); Geometry of the Modulational Instability. Part III: Homo-clinic Orbits for the periodic sine-Gordon equation,University of Arizona Preprint (1987), and Physica D (1990), and refs. therein.Google Scholar
- M.J. Ablowitz, and B.M. Herbst, SIAM J. Appl. Math. (April 1990).Google Scholar
- G. Cappellini, and S. Trillo, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B (April 1991).Google Scholar
- A.R. Bishop, in Partially Integrable Evolution Equations in Physics, R. Conte and N. Boccara, eds. ( Kluver Academic, Amsterdam, 1990 ) pp. 1–38.Google Scholar
- S. Trillo, and S. Wabnitz, Optics Letters, in press (1991).Google Scholar