Polymerase Chain Reaction for the Detection of Adenoviruses
The use of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for the detection of human adenoviruses in diluted stool samples was investigated. Several primers, including ones specific for the hexon-coding region and for enteric adenovirus (EAd) types 40 and 41, were evaluated. The primers constitute three different PCR systems designed for the detection of all six adenovirus subgenera (A-F), the two EAds Ad40 and Ad41, and Ad40, respectively. The general system and the EAd-specific system also include nested primers for a two-step amplification. The limit of detection of the PCR assay in a two-step amplification was 1 single virus particle when the two sets of general hexon primers or EAd-specific primers were used. The sensitivity of the PCR, together with its simplicity and reduced time-scale compared with other detection methods, emphasize the potential of this technique as an additional method for routine diagnosis of human adenovirus infections.
KeywordsClay Pneumonia Anemia Polypeptide Sewage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fox JP, Hall CE (1980) Viruses in families. PSG, Littleton, pp 294–334Google Scholar
- Haraett GB, Bucens MR, Clay SJ, Saker BM (1982) Acute hemorrhagic cystitis caused by adenovirus type 11 in a recipient of a transplanted kidney. Med J Aust 1:565–567Google Scholar
- Hyypiä T (1984) Detection of adenoviruses in nasopharyngeal specimens by radioactive and non-radioactive DNA probes. J Clin Microbiol 21:730–733Google Scholar
- Kidd AH, Cosgrove BP, Brown RA, Madeley CR (1982) Faecal adenoviruses from Glasgow babies. Studies on culture and identity. J Hyg 88:463–474Google Scholar
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring HarborGoogle Scholar
- van der Avoort HGAM, Wermenbol AG, Zomerdijk TPL, Kleijne JAFW, van Asten JAAM, Jensma P, Osterhaus ADME, Kidd AH, de Jong JC (1989) Characterization of fastidious adenovirus types 40 and 41 by DNA restriction enzyme analysis and by neutralizing monoclonal antibodies. Virus Res 12:139–158PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wadell G, Allard A, Evander M, Li Q (1986) Genetic variability and evolution of adenoviruses. Chem Scr 26B:325–335Google Scholar