Budding Transition for Bilayer Fluid Vesicles with Area-Difference Elasticity
We consider a curvature model for bilayer vesicles with an area-difference elasticity or non-local bending-energy term. Such a model interpolates between the bilayer-couple and spontaneous-curvature models. We report preliminary results for the budding transition. The shape transformation between the dumbbell and the pear phases can be continuous or discontinuous depending on the ratio of the non-local to the local bending rigidities.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Svetina, B. Zeks, Biomed. Biochim. Acta 42, 86, 1983.Google Scholar
- W. Helfrich, Z. Naturforsch. 28c, 693, 1973.Google Scholar
- H.G. Döbereiner, W. Rawicz, M. Wortis, and E. Evans, preprint.Google Scholar
- J. Käs and E. Sackmann, Biophys. J., to be published.Google Scholar
- M. Wortis, U. Seifert, K. Berndl, B. Fourcade, L. Miao, M. Rao, and R.K.P. Zia, in Proceedings of the workshop on “Dynamical phenomena at interfaces, surfaces and bilayers”, edited by D. Beysens, N. Boccara and G. Forgacs.Google Scholar
- W. Helfrich, Z. Naturforsch. 29c, 510, 1974.Google Scholar
- S. Svetina, M. Brumen, and B. Zeks, Stud, biophysica 110, 177, 1985.Google Scholar
- H.G. Döbereiner, L. Miao, U. Seifert, and M. Wortis, to be published.Google Scholar