On the Correlation Between Charpy Notch Toughness and Fracture Toughness of Base and Weld Metal
Part of the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics book series (IUTAM)
The Charpy test has been used since the beginning of the century (1905) for qualitative assessments of the brittle-to-ductile transition temperature (range) of structural steels.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Weld Metal Fracture Toughness Testing Notch Toughness Charpy Test
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pellini W.S. Evolution of Engineering Principles for Fracture-Safe Design of Steel Structures. Naval Research Laboratory, Report 6957, Washington D.C., 1969.Google Scholar
- 2.Williams M.L. & Ellinger G.A. Investigation of Structural Failures of Welded Ships. The Welding Journal 32(10), Research Suppl, 1953, pp 498–527.Google Scholar
- 3.Regulations for Steel Structures (BSK), National Board of Planning and Building, Stockholm, Sweden, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Recommendations for the choice and classification of Steels for use in Welded Structures. IIW Doc 22–59.Google Scholar
- 5.ASTM Standard E813–87, Standard Test for JIc, a Measure of Fracture Toughness, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, ASTM, Philadelphia, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.PD 6493 Guidance on some Methods for the Derivation of Acceptable Levels for Defects in Fusion Welded Joints. British Standards Inst, London, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.Eriksson K. Toughness Requirements for Older Structural Steels. Proceedings IABSE Workshop, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.Sailors R.H. & Corten H.T. Relationship between Material Fracture Toughness using Fracture Mechanics and Transition Temperature Tests, ASTM STP 514, ASTM, Philadelphia, 1973, pp 164–191.Google Scholar
- 9.Wåle J. & Bergh S. Inverkan av kalldeformation på segheten hos stål. SA/FoU-Rapport 90/07. Statens Anläggningsprovning, Stockholm, 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.Norinder H. COD and Charpy-V Thoughness and Microstructure of Shelfshielded Wire Weld Metals. 4th Scand Symp on Mater Sci, NIT, Trondheim, Norway, 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.Eriksson K. J-integral Fracture Thoughness of Weld Metals. IIW Annual Assembly, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia, 1979.Google Scholar
- 12.de Meester B. Selection of Steels according to their Charpy-V Properties in Order to Avoid Brittle Fracture. IIW Doc 1020–88, Welding in The World, Vol 26, No 11/12, 1988, pp 308–324.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg 1992