When Should We Stop Intravesical Treatment in Patients with Superficial Bladder Cancer?
Transurethral resection (TUR) is the treatment of choice for patients with superficial bladder cancer (i.e., Ta, T1 tumors). There are few patients in whom cystectomy is indicated as the initial treatment. External beam irradiation or brachytherapy is applied only in special centers. External beam irradiation certainly does not lower the recurrence rate or improve survival compared to TUR . Interstitial radium implants used in a very selected group of patients seem to be highly effective, both in terms of survival and recurrence rate .
KeywordsToxicity Radium Oncol Bacillus Doxorubicin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bretton PR, Herr HW, Badalament RA. The treatment of superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder with mucosal and/or ductal involvement of the prostatic urethra with intravesical BCG. J Urol 141:853–856Google Scholar
- 5.Dalessio O, Schulman CC, Sylvester R, dePauw M, Robinson M, Denis L, Smith PH, Viggiano G (1983) Prognostic factors in superficial bladder cancer. J Urol 129:730Google Scholar
- 8.Fossa SD (1985) The need for long term follow-up studies after treatment of superficial bladder cancer, especially after intravesical chemotherapy. In: EORTC Genitiurinary Group monograph 2, part B: superficial bladder tumors. Liss, New York, pp 31–37Google Scholar
- 12.Herr H, Jakse G, Sheinfeld J (1991) The Tl bladder tumor. J Urol (submitted)Google Scholar
- 14.Jakse G, Loidl W, Seeber G, Hofstädter F (1984) Stage Tl, grade 3 transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder; an unfavorable tumor. J Urol 137:39Google Scholar
- 18.Kurth K-H, Schroeder FH, Debruyne F, Senge T, Pavone-Macaluso M, de Pauw M, ten Kate F, Sylvester R (1989) Long-term follow-up in superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: prognostic factors for time to first recurrence, recurrence rate and survival. In: Murphy GP, Khoury S (eds) Therapeutic progress in urological cancer. Liss, New York, pp 481–490Google Scholar
- 19.Kurth K-H, Sylvester R, dePauw M, tenKate F (1989) Intracavitary treatment of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: questions and lessons after 27 years of experience. Prog Clin Biol Res 310:40Google Scholar
- 24.Soloway MS (1988) The management of superficial bladder cancer, with emphasis on intravesical chemotherapy. In: Raghavan D (ed) The management of bladder cancer. Arnold, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 25.Soloway MS, Ferry A (1987) BCG for treatment of superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder in patients who have failed thiotepa and/or mitomycin C J Urol 137:871Google Scholar