Analysis of Chromosome 12 Abnormalities in Male Germ Cell Cancers
A specific cytogenetic abnormality, an isochromosome 12p, i(12p), has been described in male germ cell cancers (Atkin and Baker 1982, 1983). The incidence of this abnormality has been stated to be as high as 90% (Heim and Mitelman 1987), occurring in tumors histopathologically diagnosed as seminoma, nonseminoma, and teratoma (Castedo et al. 1989a,b,c; Bosl et al. 1989; Samaniego et al. 1990). Our investigations of i(12p) in human germ cell cancer provide further support for the diagnostic importance of this cytogenetic marker. This review presents the molecular and cytogenetic studies from the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center principally concerning chromosome 12 in primary and metastatic germ cell tumors and in established germ cell cancer cell lines.
KeywordsGerm Cell Germ Cell Tumor Male Germ Cell Germ Cell Cancer Mediastinal Germ Cell Tumor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atkin NB, Baker MC (1983) i(12p): Specific chromosome marker in seminoma and malignant teratoma of the testis? Cancer Genet Cytogenet 10: 199–204Google Scholar
- Castedo SMMJ, de Jong B, Oosterhuis JW, Seruca R, Idenburg VJ, Buist J, Sleijfer DT (1988) i(12p)-Negative testicular germ cell tumors: a different group? Cancer Genet Cytogenet 35: 171–178Google Scholar
- Castedo SMMJ, de Jong B, Oosterhuis JW, Seruca R, to Meerman GJ, Dam A, Koops HS (1989a) Cytogenetic analysis of ten human seminomas. Cancer Res 49: 439–443Google Scholar
- Castedo SMMJ, de Jong B, Oosterhuis JW, Idenburg VJS, Seruca R, Buist J, to Meerman GJ, Koops HS, Sleijfer DT (1989b) Chromosomal changes in mature residual teratomas following polychemotherapy. Cancer Res 49: 672–676Google Scholar
- Castedo SMMJ, de Jong B, Oosterhuis JW, Seruca R, Idenburg VJS, Dam, A, to Meerman GJ, Koops HS, Sleijfer DT (1989c) Chromosomal changes in human primary testicular nonseminomatous germ cell tumors. Cancer Res 49: 5696–5701Google Scholar
- Heim S, Mitelman F (1987) Cancer Cytogenetics. Liss, New York, pp 227–261Google Scholar
- Mulder MP, Keijzer W, Splinter TAW, Bos JL (1989) Heterogeneity of ras gene activation in human seminoma (Abstr). Satellite Meeting of the 11th International Congress of the International Society of Development Biologists, GroningenGoogle Scholar
- Samaniego F, Rodriguez E, Houldsworth J, Murty VVVS, Ladanyi M, Lele KP, Chen Q, Dmitrovsky E, Geller NL, Reuter V, Jhanwar SC, Bosl GJ, Chaganti RSK (1990) Cytogenetic and molecular analysis of human male germ cell tumors: chromosome 12 abnormalities and gene amplification. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 1: 289–300PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar