A Numerical and Experimental Study of the Starting Flow of a Uniformly Accelerated Circular Cylinder
Starting flows around a circular cylinder undergoing uniform acceleration from rest are studied numerically and experimentally for Rea = 350,1310, 2170, 5000. The calculation and experiment are in good agreement. Evolution with time of the flow structure and the effects of Rea are studied,and some new phenomena are revealed. Comparisons are made with the flows of impulsively started cylinders.
KeywordsCircular Cylinder Rotational Component Secondary Vortex Vortex Sheet Primary Vortex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bouard, R. and Coutanceau, M., JFM(1980), 101, 583.Google Scholar
- 2.Loc, T.P. and Bouard, R., JFM(1985), 160, 93–117.Google Scholar
- 3.Sun, M. and Luo, J.,Chinese J. of Aeronautics(to appear, 1990 ).Google Scholar
- 4.Honji, H. and Tancda, S. (1972); Rep. Res. Inst. Appl. Mcch., Kyusku Univ., 19, 265.Google Scholar
- 5.Collins, W. M. and Dennis, S.C.R., JFM(1974), 65, 461–480.Google Scholar