Object-Oriented Database Systems: The Notion and the Issues
Since half a decade or so, object-oriented database systems have become an extremely hot topic of database research and development. At many places all over the world, people work on individual aspects or complete system prototypes. Already, some systems have even reached the marketplace. However, the notion of “object-orientation” in the context of database systems is unfortunately still widely unclear and means different things to different people. This paper tries to bring some clarification to this terminological problem by promoting a definition that recently has been put together by a number of researchers from six different “schools”. Afterwards, it establishes a classifications of approaches that do not (yet) meet all criteria requested by this ideal definition, but are in one way or the other close to it. Finally, a number of issues are given that need special consideration in the context of object-oriented database systems.
KeywordsMigration Encapsulation Clarification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CaDV88]Carey, M.J. DeWitt, D.J., Vandenberg, S.L.: A Data Model and Query Language for EXODUS, Proc. ACM SIGMOD, 1988.Google Scholar
- [CeGT90]Ceri, S., Gottlob, G., Tanca, L.: Logic Programming and Databases. Springer, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Ditt88]Dittrich, K.R.: Preface, In: Dittrich, K.R. (ed.): Advances in Object- Oriented Database Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 334, Springer, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Gold81]Goldberg, A.: Introducing the Smalltalk-80 System, BYTE Magazine, August 1981.Google Scholar
- [KiLo89]Kim, W., Lochovsky, F.H.: Object-Oriented Concepts, Databases, and Applications, ACM Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Kim90]Kim, W.: Research Directions in Object-Oriented Databases, MCC Technical Report, ACT-OODS-013–90, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Mani89]Atkinson, M., Bancilhon, F., DeWitt, D., Dittrich, K., Maier, D., Zdonik, S.: The Object-Oriented Database System Manifesto (A Political Pamphlet). Proc. DOOD 89, Kyoto, Japan, December 1989.Google Scholar
- [McDa89]McCarthy, D.R., Dayal, U.: The Architecture of an Active Database Management System, Proc. ACM-SIGMOD, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Moss89]Moss, J.E.B.: Object-Orientation as Catalyst for Language-Data-base Integration. In: [KiLo89].Google Scholar
- [ZdMa90]Zdonik, S.B., Maier, D., (Eds.): Readings in Object-Oriented Database Systems. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1990.Google Scholar