Long-Term Reliability of a Jackup-Platform Foundation
A probabilistic model for analysis of the foundation stability of a jack-up platform foundation is presented. A jack-up platform with three independent legs supported by individual spudcan footings is considered as an example, and a two-dimensional representation of this platform is adopted. Conventional bearing capacity failure as well as horizontal sliding of one of the spudcan footings are considered. Uncertainties in wave and wind loading as well as in soil strength properties are included. The long-term reliability of the foundation is assessed by means of a nested application of a first-order reliability method.
KeywordsPetroleum Drilling Hull Barge Conoco
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnesen, K., Dahlberg, R., Kjeey, H., and Carlsen, C.A., “Soil-Structure Interaction Aspects for Jack-Up Platforms”, Proceedings, 5th International Conference on Behaviour of Offshore Structures, Trondheim, Norway, 1988.Google Scholar
- Bitner-Gregersen, E.M. and Haver, S., “Joint Long Term Description of Environmental Parameters for Structural Response Calculation”, Proceedings, 2nd International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 1989.Google Scholar
- Bjerager, P., ‘Probability Computation Methods in Structural and Mechanical Reliability“, in Computational Mechanics of Probabilistic and Reliability Analysis, ed. W.K. Liu and T. Belytschko, Elme Press International, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1989.Google Scholar
- Bjerager, P., Loseth, R., Winterstein, S.R., and Cornell, C.A., “Reliability Method for Marine Structures under Multiple Environmental Load Processes”, Proceedings, 5th International Conference on Behaviour of Offshore Structures, Trondheim, Norway, 1988.Google Scholar
- Det norske Veritas, ‘Rules for the Design, Construction and Inspection of Offshore Structures, Appendix F, Foundations“, Det norske Veritas, Hevik, Norway, 1977.Google Scholar
- Gazetas, G., “Analysis of Machine Foundation Vibrations: State of the Art”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1983.Google Scholar
- Holm, C.A., Bjerager, P., and Madsen, H.O., ‘Iong Term System Reliability of Offshore Jacket Structures“, Proceedings, 2nd IFIP Working Conference on Reliability and Optimization of Structural Systems, ed. by P. Thoft-Christensen, London, England, Springer-Verlag, 1988.Google Scholar
- Madsen, H.O., Krenk, S., and Lind, N.C., Methods of Structural Safety, Prentice Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1986.Google Scholar
- Ronold, K.O., “Random Field Modeling of Foundation Failure Modes”, Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 116, No. 4, pp. 554–570, 1990.Google Scholar
- Whitman, R.V., “Representation of Soil-Structure Interaction for Offshore Gravity Structures”, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1974.Google Scholar