EXSEMA-An EXpert System for SElecting Simulation Software for Manufacturing Applications
This paper describes the development of EXSEMA, an expert system (ES) prototype for providing advice on the most appropriate simulation software environment for a particular manufacturing application. During a typical consultation session the user is prompted for information which describes the proposed application and the existing development and organization constraints. EXSEMA then identifies the simulation system which provides the best fit with the user’s needs and provides appropriate explanations.
KeywordsExpert System Simulation Software Material Handling System Automate Material Handling System Demonstration Prototype
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shannon, R.E.; Long, S.S. and Buckles, B.D., “Operations Research Methodologies in Industrial Engineering: A Survey”, AIIE Transactions, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 364–367.Google Scholar
- 2.Law, A.M. and Haider, S.W., “Selecting Simulation Software for Manufacturing Applications: Practical guidelines and Software Survey”, Industrial Engineering, May 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.Law, A.M., “Introduction to Simulation: A Powerful Tool for Analyzing Complex Manufacturing Systems”, Industrial Engineering, May 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.Haider, S.W. and Banks, J., “Simulation Software Products for Analyzing Manufacturing Systems”, Industrial Engineering, July 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.Uzel, A.R., “Guidelines for Expert Systems Application”, Chartered Mechanical Engineer, February 1987, pp. 40–45.Google Scholar
- 6.Leonard-Barton, D. and Sviokla, J.J., “Putting Expert Systems to Work”, Harvard Business Review, March-April, 1988, pp. 91–98.Google Scholar
- 7.SME, Expert Systems, SME Blue Book Series, CASA/SME Technical Council, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Dearborn, Michigan 48121, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.Luger, G.F. and Stubblefield, W.A., “Artificial Intelligence and the Design of Expert Systems”, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing, California, 1988.Google Scholar
- 9.Information Builders, Inc., Level Five Reference Manual (PC Version), 1985.Google Scholar