Modern Imaging for Cerebral Gliomas: Breakthroughs and Limitations
Proper diagnosis and optimal treatment planning of cerebral gliomas can be achieved only if reliable diagnostic imaging techniques are available. In the past, neurologic physical examination was complemented by pneumoencephalography, angiography, and radionuclide study. These investigations provided only limited information about site, size, and extent of the tumor; patterns of malignant vascularization could be recognized, and a hint as to the aggressive behavior of the lesion (compromised blood-brain barrier) could be derived. These were relatively invasive methods, causing patient discomfort and entailing high costs of hospitalization.
KeywordsMagnetic Resonance Imaging Study Stereotactic Biopsy Cerebral Glioma Plain Computerize Tomography Control Computerize Tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beahrs OH, Meyers MH (eds) (1983) Manual staging of cancer, 2nd edn. Lippincott, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 4.Curnes JT, Laster DW, Ball MR et al. (1986) Magnetic resonance imaging of radiation injury to the brain. AJNR 7: 389–394Google Scholar
- 7.DiChiro G, DeLaPaz RL, Brooks PA et al. (1982) Glucose utilization of cerebral gliomas measured by F15 fluorodeoxyglucose and positron emission tomography. Neurology (N4) 32: 291–292Google Scholar
- 10.Gumori JM, Grossman RI, Goldberg HI et al. (1985) Intracranial hematomas: imaging by high-field MRI. Radiology 157: 87–93Google Scholar
- 11.Hatanaka H, Sano K, Kitamura K et al. (1984) CT findings in patients with gliomas súrviving more than ten years. Neurochirurgia (Stuttg) 27: 106–110Google Scholar
- 12.Hermanek P, Sobin LH (eds) (1987) TNM classification of malignant tumors, 4th edn. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 14.Kaiser MC, Ramos L (1990) MRI of the spine. A guide to clinical applications. Thieme, StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- 15.Karim ABMF, Rutten EHJM, Gonzalez DG, Horiot JC, van der Schueren E, Svoboda V, van Alphen HAM, Heimans JJ, Thomas DGT, Aaronson NK (1985) A randomized trial on dose response in radiation therapy of the cerebral gliomas (low-grade astrocytoma and oligodendroglioma) of the adult. EORTC, Brussels (Protocol no 22844 )Google Scholar
- 16.Karlsson UL, Brady LW (1987) Primary intracranial neoplasms. In: Perez CA, Brady LW (eds) Principles and practice of radiation oncology. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 408–436Google Scholar
- 22.Warburg O (1930) The metabolism of tumors. Constable, LondonGoogle Scholar