The Effect of Isolated Roughness Elements on Transition in Attachment-Line Flows
Current knowledge concerning the tripping to turbulence of an attachment-line boundary-layer flow under low-speed conditions is summarised and compared with criteria for tripping in the incompressible, zero pressure — gradient, flat-plate flow. Important similarities and significant differences are illustrated and discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Poll, D.I.A.: Transition in the infinite-swept attachment-line boundary-layer. The Aeronautical Quarterly, Vol.XXX, November 1979, pp 607–629.Google Scholar
- 2.Poll, D.I.A. and Paisley, D.J.: On the effect of wing taper and sweep direction on leading—edge transition. The Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 89, No. 883, March 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Hall, P.; Malik, M.R. and Poll, D.I.A.: On the stability of an infinite—swept attachment—line boundary—layer. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, Vol. 395, October 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Rosenhead, L. (ed.): Laminar Boundary—Layers. Oxford University Press, 1963.Google Scholar
- 6.Klebanoff, P.S.; Schubauer, G.B. and Tidstrom, K.D.: Measurements of the effect of two—dimensional and three—dimensional roughness elements on boundary—layer transition. Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences, Vol. 22, No. 11, November 1955, pp 803–804.Google Scholar
- 7.Gregory, N. and Love, E.M.: Laminar flow on a swept leading edge — final progress report. National Physical Laboratory, (Teddington, England), Aero. Memo 26, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.Firmin, M.C.P. and Cook, P.H.: On the flow along swept leading edges. Unpublished Report, Aerodynamics Department, RAE Farnborough, 1965.Google Scholar
- 11.Gaster, M.: On the flow along swept leading—edges. The Aeronautical Quarterly, Vol.XVIII, May 1967, pp 165–184.Google Scholar
- 12.Cumpsty, N.A. and Head, M.R.: The calculation of three—dimensional turbulent boundary—layers. Part III Comparison of attachment—line calculations with experiment. The Aeronautical Quarterly, Vol.XX, May 1969, pp 99–113.Google Scholar
- 13.Launder, B.E. and Jones, W.P.: On the prediction of laminarisation. Aeronautical Research Council, CP 1036, 1969Google Scholar