Direct Numerical Study of Crossflow Instability
Disturbances in the swept Hiemenz flow are calculated by solving the Navier-Stokes equations. The spatially-evolving base flow is treated exactly, allowing a check of the “local” stability theories. Different types of disturbances such as random noise, waves, and wave packets, are input near the attachment line, develop in space, and exit through an outflow boundary. They all generate streamwise vortices. The effect of the Reynolds number, of the time-dependence of the noise, and of nonlinearity, are investigated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arnal, D. Three-dimensional boundary layers: laminar-turbulent transition. AGARD Rept. No. 741, Von Karman Inst., Rhode-St.-Genèse, Belgium, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.Reed, H. L., & Saric, W. S. Stability of three-dimensional boundary layers Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 21 (1989) 235–284.Google Scholar
- 3.Spalart, P. R. Direct numerical study of leading-edge contamination. AGARD C. P. No. 438, Neuilly, France, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.Malik, M. R., Wilkinson, S. P., & Orszag, S. A. Instability and transition in rotating disk flow. A. I. A. A J. 19, 9 (1981) 1131–1138.Google Scholar
- 6.Mack, L. M. The wave pattern produced by a point source on a rotating disk. A. I. A. A. -85–0490 (1985). Google Scholar
- 7.Mack, L. M. Transition prediction and linear stability theory, AGARD C. P. No. 224, Neuilly, France, 1977.Google Scholar
- 8.Meyer, F., & Kleiser, L. Numerical investigation of transition in 3D boundary layers. AGARD C. P. No. 438, Neuilly, France, 1988.Google Scholar
- 11.Müller, B., & Bippes, H. Experimental study of instability modes in a three-dimensional boundary layer. AGARD C. P. No. 438, Neuilly, France, 1988.Google Scholar
- 12.Wilkinson, S. P., and Malik, M. R. Stability experiments in the flow over a rotating disk. A. I. A. A. J. 23, 4 (1985) 588–595.Google Scholar
- 13.Fischer, T. M., & Dallamnn, U. Primary and secondary stability analysis applied to the DFVLR transition swept plate experiment AGARD C. P. No. 438, Neuilly, France, 1988.Google Scholar